ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#113100 03/04/02 10:20 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This is what I found when responding to a complaint from a homeowner, they called this electrician to repair a bad service cable outside, they were told the cost would be about 500.00 when the electrician went to change it he told them the meter socket was rusting and needed to be replaced, the cost an additional 1,200.00 (approx)

When they got it in with the power still off , they wanted the balance or they would not turn the power back on !!!! after they paid the power was put back on ,,, now I was called to this after that and saw this and heard what they did , this was a month after.

can ya count the violations????
1,,,they can't collect their money that way ( a civil matter)
2,,,the price is out of this world (a civil matter)
3 ,,,how old does that meter socket look?? no supply house i know carries this anymore
4,,,you can't see but each floor (3) has an elec dryer and range (they ran a #2 se to feed all 3 floors)
5,,,you see the black wire coming from the panel on the right and going down to the floor, that's the ground to the rod (here it's 2 rods min 6' apart min )
6,,,Jumpers are NOT ALLOWED in meter sockets (Elec Co policy)
7,,,cross metering (wires going from one panel to the other, 2nd to 1st)
8,,,don't you just love the way they bonded those panels
9,,,if you can look up close to meter #2 those wires are right up against the lug and they feed # 3 meter
10,,,they broke the meter for the 2nd fl
11,,,and we surely admire the way they clean up

End result of this is the owner's have a whole brand new service complete with meters outside ,home owners meter and panel , sized properly , grounded properly, but they will still be facing a law suit from the owners

I really wish i could post the names of these guys in the paper, this is not the only time I have responded to a complaint on the same Co , I have a fat folder on them with many violations of all kinds , I will be meeting with the state on weds , don't expect they will be in business for long after that.

Hey,,,, EScott YOU know these guys !!!! LOL

JM - HIGHVOLTAGE

#113101 03/04/02 11:30 PM
C
were these metrs at the bottom in the floor sideways [Linked Image] talk about a rip off artist. these guys are electricans? boy oh boy. they need tobe put out of buissness!

[This message has been edited by circuit man (edited 03-07-2002).]

#113102 03/05/02 12:58 PM
M
JM:
This is really a strange looking setup here (in addition to being dangerous). Maybe I'm missing something here...Is this (or was this) a three-family dwelling that has somehow been converted to occupancy by a single-family?
I have a pretty good idea that the box in the center is an old fuse-type panel, from which the circuits have been lifted and re-connected to the panel to the left, which doesn't appear to even have any support for the bottom third of it.
If it is indeed a three-to-one conversion, it certainly looks like a bad one.
Just my thinkin'...

Mike (mamills)

BTW, what are the jumpers that are jammed into the jaws on sockets two and three? From the photo, they appear to be small pieces of wire. Curious to see what happens to these "electricians".

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 03-05-2002).]

#113103 03/05/02 09:29 PM
C
so that's what 's in them meter cans. [Linked Image]surprised they didn't use a spoon. [Linked Image] are the two in the floor in use? meters should register well [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by circuit man (edited 03-06-2002).]

[This message has been edited by circuit man (edited 03-06-2002).]

#113104 03/05/02 10:55 PM
H
Mike , CMan
This is a 3 family , with a seperate meter for each floor ,
The jumpers across the jaws are because they didn't properly notify the Elec Co. and no one came to remove the locking rings on the old meters ( the ones left on the floor , of which one they broke )
Installing these jumpers is also a No no

I will be sure to let you know what happens ,
I am seeking a court injunction against them preforming any work in this city untill we receive the findings from the state Lic board ,there's alot more going on with this Co. then just this, I have another pic of the same Co. comming out a fire alarm panel with a strobe cir STAPLING the wire to the OUTSIDE of the SHEETROCK along the wall in the hallway and then poking it through the wall and I"m betting there's NO box on the otherside behind the strobe
JM

[This message has been edited by HIGHVOLTAGE (edited 03-05-2002).]

#113105 03/05/02 11:09 PM
C
Wow! [Linked Image]

The ole "no backer board" trick! Very common to see this where a new service has been hacked in and they use the same old small board. But this is ridiculous!

I've seen stuff like this in Providence alot. I can't believe they used a #2 SEU cable for a 3 family!!!! I am guessing there was no permits or inspections involved!

These guys deserve to get sued, lose their license and get banned from doing any kind of electrical work! Its good to hear that you are going after them.

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 03-05-2002).]

Peter
#113106 03/06/02 07:37 PM
C
thanks hi voltage! we would like to know what happens. [Linked Image] i belive the power company should work them over as well [Linked Image]we look to hear when you get done. [Linked Image]

#113107 03/06/02 11:56 PM
H
Just to let you know ,The owners of this property have 4 brand new panels installed on a brand new board , and brand new meter's located outside and ALL is safe now as for the out come of this , it will take a couple of weeks ( we have to cross all our T's and dot the I's ) before we drop the hammer.
look forward to the BIG story behind this Co.
JM

[This message has been edited by HIGHVOLTAGE (edited 03-06-2002).]

#113108 03/07/02 08:47 AM
E
Mr High Voltage, I guess they are still at it. Wasn't his (you know who) license suspended last year. I think it may be time for permanent revocation. Could the fact that his father is a long time AHJ in MA have any effect on his license. (ie he still has it)

#113109 06/06/02 11:30 PM
H
Just a little update on this , 6-4-02 we got this EC in front of a judge and this will be going to trial, not only for this job but for about 10 others also , to date I have about 15 complaints file with the state Lic board, and they are well aware of this person , and his games
Seems since this Company lost it's Masters , it has resorted to con someone into using thiers , you would think if they were so smart they would atleast change the return address on the envelopes that they use to mail in the new permits!
and not use thier address on the permits either,,,

We go to Trial july 10th !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard