ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#11295 07/08/02 09:12 PM
C
Cindy Offline OP
how big of a hole or panel can you put into a garage wall that goes into the house? i'm not sure oregon has a limit, but i heard california might, so it has to be wrapped like in multifamily fire rated walls and floors. i suppose states have different codes and we probably do it differently.

C
Cindy,

I am in CA and every city has differend requirements. Some say its ok to put it into the firewall some say no way. One city says its ok if you install double studs on each side. I believe the maximum size electrical penitration per. the UBC is supposed to be 100 square inches which is obviously not enough for any reasonable panel. Most of the time we have the builders install one sheet of drywall on the garage wall and then have them install 2 studs floor to ceiling on top of this to create a place to install the panel. Most people don't mind the 18" x 4" bump out on the garage wall. I would check with who ever is going to be inspecting your project to find out what they require. If you have seperate electrical and building inspectors check with both of them. Electrical inspects typically are concerned with electrical codes and not the building codes.

Curt

Curt Swartz

Link Copied to Clipboard