ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 254 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#111768 02/18/07 07:55 AM
From Dawg

This is an outlet in my sister in law's
bathroom in her mobile home....No, she did not do this, it was like this when they moved there.
It's truly a "cheap handyman" way of fastening an outlet.

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#111769 02/18/07 10:23 AM
T
Never happen here in the UK, the Electrical Police would be on you like a [Linked Image] Can't have anything in a bathroom here, not even a bath!!!!!....probably a slight exageration , but not much! Soon to change the wiring reulations [Code] yet again. At present we have 4 levels; 1) Does not comply, dangerous, imediate attention required. 2) Requires attention { a bit open ended really } 3) needs further investigation. 4) Although compliant at the time of installation it does not now meet the current regs, this does not mean that it is dangerous. Very soon we will have a ~code 5~...'does not comply with current regs but give it a few weeks and it probably will...' [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 02-18-2007).]

#111770 02/18/07 11:58 AM
Grrr I'm glad I don't live in one of those anymore. At least mine never had a handyman come in, only a (previous) homeowner.
Dawg, is this the least of the problems? Or does her house require the use of a bulldozer? Or at least a rewire?

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
#111771 02/18/07 05:16 PM
D
I would venture to take a guess that this outlet may be feed by a GFCI device as would be eluded to by the partially intact GFCI marking.
As such it may be that it is an ungrounded system, i.e. 2w romex or?, and, instead of using a receptacle downstream that does not have a grounded they simply defeated a grounded receptacles by placing screws in the grounding receptacles.

#111772 02/18/07 06:36 PM
N
That looks to be a device made by AMP or T&B, it does not use a box and NM cable is looped and split open to connect to device,BTW its UL listed but I think its a *****y way to make a device

"A trailer by any other name is still a trailer".

#111773 02/18/07 06:47 PM
First time I came across these contraptions I was baffled! (I put a cut in box and a regular duplex where I needed to get rid of these, whole lotta fun getting any length out of the romex to put things together. This is one scenario I thanked God for Wago's)

I don't get what the screws in the ground holes are attaching the outlet to? [Linked Image] The opposing drywall?
Once again proof that trailers are made with the cheapest parts you can get away with...

#111774 02/19/07 11:35 AM
L
This one rates right up there with that meter box with a spicket installed in the side, and the 'vise grip' neutral..lol IMO

I too have also ran across those types of recepts. Freind of mines grandmother lives in an old trailer, I replaced all of them. I was supprised however at the wiring, all 12awg NM, and the outerjacket was black and was a bit thicker than the NM I use currently for other jobs.

[This message has been edited by Luketrician (edited 02-19-2007).]

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

#111775 02/27/07 09:13 PM
D
Theelectrikid,

I'm not sure if this is the least of her problems or not. She only leases the mobile home and does not own it.

I do know the heat isn't very good as they have to remove the slotted floor vents to get any decent heat.

I also know there's dips in the floor in different areas of the trailer.

As for the screws in the ground holes I really haven't attempted to see what they're securing the outlet to.

And I don't know if it's on a GFCI breaker or not. Haven't really looked.

Yes trailers are cheap and all you need is a can opener to break into one. My s-i-l and her husband are wanting to find themselves another place to live that's a little bigger and probably not as poorly designed/constructed.

#111776 02/27/07 09:30 PM
10-4 Dawg.

I also know there's dips in the floor in different areas of the trailer.

[Linked Image] That's never a good thing with a trailer. Rip the floor up!

Ian (Hello? ******* Demolition?) A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
:-| most trailers are in need of a molotov repair kit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard