ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#111434 12/02/06 09:59 PM
From Theelectrikid
My grandparents had their two garage door openers and doors
replaced. The original receptacle is in the photo below. A 14-gauge
extension cord used to feed the other
one. The installer (from Sears) did away with that. Here's how he did
it: (Western PA)

Original handy-box with original 12/2NM (the white one), and the
new "extension."

[Linked Image]

Wire routed under heating duct and I-Beam. Original cable heading
towards panel. This is a dedicated circuit for the openers, I believe.

[Linked Image]

New box and recept. Yes, that's an old-work steel box that's been
surface mounted. The small wire is the remote switch for the opener.
Uninsulated staples are allowed around here, BTW. The local inspector
and my father are friends at a local gun club. Was this inspected? NO!

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Z
You're going to sit here and tell me that a Sears garage door installer didn't know how to perform electrical work? Impossible!

Did you're folks actually pay for this crap? You might have a word with Sears about safety and liability. I can't beleive they actually let their installers touch anything upstream from the power cord on their opener.

R
Does not surprise me as I have seen crap like this all over the place around here. Matter of fact one such install at the neighbours which consists of 14/2 romex supported with nails and a female extension cord end for the receptacle comes to mind.

Ian: That " new" box, receptacle and cover look like used junk the installer had laying around does it not?
And whats with that original 12/2 NM passing AROUND and THROUGH one of the holes in that mounting bracket? **Ouch sharp edges!**

A.D

E
I'm sure every electrician has had experience with how sharp sheet metal is! even knowing that, odds are it'll never abraid the Romex enough to create a problem, but... why [Linked Image]

and I just love the use of that gangable swith box for the second outlet, man that thing just looks like **** [Linked Image]

As usual, thanks to Scott for posting them. I just sent the first email of the next series.

Those steel brackets aren't new, they're from the old openers. This garage was finished at a later date, as I'm sure the surface-NM wouldn't pass under the Aug 15, 1977 Inspection. The pevious opener installer probably installed the white 12/2, back in the 80s.

Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 12-08-2006).]

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Oooo... This gives me a few flashbacks! (unfortunately) I've had more than one time picking up the pieces of a Sears GDO install that was made with an extension cord (supplied by the installer) and EMT'ing a proper outlet up. After the HO calling Sears, they did, in fact, end up reimbursing the HO for the outlet install...

I'm sure every electrician has had experience with how sharp sheet metal is! even knowing that, odds are it'll never abraid the Romex enough to create a problem
I don't know, them door-openers do create a bit of vibration when they operate.
Hmm, the fact that the wiring is on the surface for a start would suggest that the installer just couldn't be bothered to do a decent job.
I've installed hundreds of door-opener points and they are often the easiest of any socket in the house, considering that the panel is usually in the garage as well.
This is just plain slack!. [Linked Image]

A
Have your grandparents contact the installer and say it did not pass inspection and until it does they want their money back.

M
Wow...I see that all the time around here. The first box is about all I would save. Gotta love the rusty chrome plate and "leftover" leviton outlet...surface mounted, and in an old work box...fun

BTW, I have been viewing this forum for a few months and finally joined last week :-)

S
Welcome to ECN, Matt!

Is that steel beam likely to become energized?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard