ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
Code requires that a wiring method be suitable for it's environment, and that it either protect the wiring, or be itself protected.

The picture shows EMT run along a wall. The open area along the EMT is the scene of a lot of activity; pallets being piled high with produce, shuffled about, trucks being unloaded, etc. As you can see, the pipe is no longer securely attached to the wall. I suspect it was run into a few times!

As I see it, the pipe should have been run higher up, above the "impact zone."

None of the receptacles were damaged.

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
I agree with with you reno. Was this always a place for pallets and forklift trafic? I belive that the pipe should be moved higher. It looks like it would not be too bad. Looks like a straight run.

Cat Servant
I don't think forklifts were used, but, rather, pallet jacks.

The place is an industrial rental, and heaven only knows who the next tenant will be.

I had two points with this post.

First, EMT might be an approved material, but it can be installed incorrectly.

Second, one must consider the application, and not just slap it up in the easiest manner.

S
Thanks for the input reno. Never really thought of further applications in the future. With everyones help like your input im getting there. The easiest and quickest way to run things arenot always the best. Filed away for future reference. Thanks,
Steve

S
But who really wants to go and get the 12' A-frame ladder off the roof of the truck? Not me!

*kidding

L
Me either ShockMe77.

(also kidding)

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

Reno:
I agree with you but, IF this was installed as a 'plain vanilla box' type of general purpose outlets in vacant space, then it has to be acceptable to the AHJ, and was installed by the EC in conformance.

Now, if I go in to inspect this, and I happen to 'pull' the EMT & the straps fall off, that's a red sticker.

We do not have a 'maintenance code', that's up to the Fire Dept & the CCO Insp.

John

John
Cat Servant
Hot Line, in a "code legal" sense you are correct. But....

My point in posting this pic was to illustrate how a 'plain vanilla' arrangement might not be appropriate. As true professionals, we take into consideration just how something will be used- not limiting ourselves to considering just the quickest, easiest, cheapest manner.

Now, I submit that damage is proof that the code requirements for protection are not being met. While there may be an enforcement issue, that alone does not mean it's not a violation.

To quote Paul Harvey: Self government can't work without self-control. Just because no inspector will ever see it doesn't mean the rules don't exist.

Odly enough, Appleton, and others, make fittings for "hard use." The code fails to ever mention 'hard use,' let alone define it... but it seems folks have had little trouble 'knowing' what it was for at least 50 years.

[This message has been edited by renosteinke (edited 09-19-2006).]

L
The phrase, "plain vanilla box"..I've never heard that one. Could someone please elaborate on what this means?

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

Cat Servant
Not my expression, but as I understand it...

Commercial / industrial rentals often come with very simple and basic electrical. The tenant is expected to customise the space to suit his particular operation.

Indeed, such re-models are a mainstay of my business.

So I understand "plain vanilla box" to be a rental unit with only the original, minimal electric.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard