ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#110983 08/18/06 08:38 PM
S
What about the other trades involved? If this was a covered carport like it looks, the roof would have to be patched and probably the drywall in the overhead of the garage torn down to access the conduit. And how much does poco charge to come out and move their box and the aerial? Actually, if this was all new, they would have to come out twice- once to take the box and aerial down so the garage could be built, and again to put it back up. Meanwhile, for the length of the job, plus time for the inspectors and poco to come back out, the homeowners are either completely without power, or have to rent a sizeable generator. So, write off all the food in their freezer!

I agree that $10k is a way high estimate, I just threw that out there without much thought. But it's not going to be cheap to move a meter, that's for sure. And a royal pain in the butt! Aside from that, it looks like that garage would have had exactly 0 impact on like in the rest of the house during construction. Constrast that with at least several days, if not a week without power.

[This message has been edited by SteveFehr (edited 08-18-2006).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#110984 08/23/06 03:40 PM
L
The street I live on here in Des Moines, Iowa
several of the houses have electrical meters in the basement. The house I bought has the meter in the basement, right next to the meter is the service panel and right next to that is the hot water heater

#110985 08/23/06 09:25 PM
Steve:
The Twp I work in (AHJ) and LK does EC work in has numerous houses like this.

Based on the pics above, comparing to what I physically see here....

The ceiling in the carport/garage looks like it could be plywood.
The vinyl siding looks recently 'new'; boxed out around the meter pan, and conduit.
4" sq box w 2 sw box looks new, & it's mounted 'on' the siding.

Again, where I am, I would guess the 'front' & 'side' & 'back' were 'enclosed; the house sided, and maybe re-roofed, as there are no visable seams.

John

John
#110986 11/09/06 08:44 PM
Would relocating the meter to the front of the house (where the light is right of the "garage," help any? The HO probably wouldn't want it, but it would get it out of the garage. All pending AHJ (John)'s approval.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
#110987 11/10/06 02:31 PM
A
NEC 230.70(A)1
It isn't just the meter but, the location of the service disconnect. It is now no longer "...nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors."
Alan--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
#110988 11/12/06 10:57 PM
H
The meter could be moved outside the garage and a new W/P service-rated disconnect be placed beside it. Then refeed the old panel and turn it into a sub-panel...isolate neutrals from grounds, etc. I suspect there is gas heat and gas cooking judging from the gas meter and the size of the meter housing so 4-wire feeders to them wouldn't be a problem. Now moving the gas meter outside the garage is a whole new adventure...

#110989 11/13/06 01:53 AM
D
That's nothing compared to some I know.

He lives in a 2 bedroom cement block house built in 1955. The electrical meter sits just outside of what used to be the back door to exit out of the house.

Sometime later someone decided to add an addition to the back side of the house. Then they split the whole addition in half and created a bed room on the one side of the house where the meter sits.

So now in order for the electric person to take the meter reading they have to go inside the back door, then take an immediate right into the bed room (it's actually being used as an airplane model room since this guy has no kids and works for ATA) and behind the door sits the emter....still in it's original spot.

The same guy's dad, in 1978 had their house destroyed by termites. So they built a brand new house next to it (from an existing garage) and then they moved out of the old termite house, yet they left the electrical service still connected to the house and just tapped off of it and ran a new wiring service to the new house.

It wasn't until 10 years ago when the son aquired the property after his dad went to a nursing home for a stroke and had the IRS threating to take his house, that his son got it all for $1, then he had the service moved to the new house so they could finally tear down the old house.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard