ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#110946 08/08/06 08:46 PM
Cat Servant
Yes, Randy.... I had the pleasure of dismantling this thing....

The former tenant of this industrial property had, by all appearances, an engineering degree. There were many, many curious wiring practices.

For example, I had never before seen a 1:1 transformer! I just assumed transformers were for changing the voltage; I have no idea what he was trying to accomplish.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#110947 08/08/06 10:55 PM
S
renosteinke -

"For example, I had never before seen a 1:1 transformer! I just assumed transformers were for changing the voltage; I have no idea what he was trying to accomplish."

That sounds like an "Isolation Transformer":

"Isolation transformer
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An isolation transformer is a transformer, often with symmetrical windings, which is used to decouple two circuits. An isolation transformer allows an AC signal or power to be taken from one device and fed into another without electrically connecting the two circuits. Isolation transformers block transmission of DC signals from one circuit to the other, but allow AC signals to pass. They also block interference caused by ground loops. Isolation transformers with electrostatic shields are used for power supplies for sensitive equipment such as computers or laboratory instruments.

In electronics testing, troubleshooting and servicing, an isolation transformer is a 1:1 power transformer which is used as a safety precaution. Since the neutral wire of an outlet is directly connected to ground, grounded objects near the device under test (desk, lamp, concrete floor, oscilloscope ground lead, etc.) may be at a hazardous potential difference with respect to that device. By using an isolation transformer, the bonding is eliminated, and the shock hazard is entirely contained within the device.

In a pinch, a line-voltage isolation transformer may be made by determining the total load of the device under test and finding two identical line transformers each capable of handling the load. A power cord is attached to the primary of one transformer, an outlet to the primary of the other transformer. The secondaries are then connected to each other. An example with two 120 V:12 V transformers would yield 120 V → 12 V → 12 V → 120 V.

Isolation transformers are commonly designed with careful attention to capacitive coupling between the two windings. This is necessary because excessive capacitance could also couple AC current from the primary to the secondary. A grounded shield is commonly interposed between the primary and the secondary. Any remaining capacitive coupling between the secondary and ground simply causes the secondary to become balanced about the ground potential."

Steve

Thanks
Steve
#110948 08/09/06 05:39 PM
L
Ahh I see now Reno, and now that you mentioned it. Gray smurf. You don't see smurf tube out here in nuclear land. Been awhile since I ran that stuff.

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

#110949 08/10/06 07:02 PM
Guess the craftsman is/was out at the store buying straps??? Not a one to be seen. So much for pride in workmanship!

Did you find a EGC in the smurf??

John

John
#110950 08/10/06 08:56 PM
Cat Servant
Hot Line, I must confess that I never looked into the smurf... cold as it may sound, the smurf was well outside the scope of the work I was hired to do.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard