Here are some pictures that I thought would be of interest.
These were taken at my friend’s cottage. His grand-father is a do-it-yourself kind of guy. Outlets like these were all around the property mainly supplying power for lights. In the first series of pictures, the SO extension cord that runs into the PVC pipe goes INTO THE LAKE to supply power for some lights installed on the dock!!! The next are of an outlet in the garden. Yes, a hose tap is installed on the other side. Remember, no GFCI is installed.
I thought you guys might enjoy these! Best regards,
There are a lot of pictures on here that are code violations, but then you have ones like this where I'm honestly amazed nobody has been electrocuted. I'd be willing to bet that hinges almost totally on luck that nobody has happened to touch any of this mess when it's been covered in dew or rainwater or spray from that hose.
That's just incredible.
PS: Any obvious reason why this guy decided to spool the wire around all the posts before entering the boxes?
Why is it that once you get to cottage country, people who would otherwise hire someone compentent get creative:
- Handy boxes outside - No GFCIs anywhere - SO for permentant instalations - romex for extension cords - Burried junctions (sometimes in dirt) - Flying Splices - Water pipe for conduit - Wood for conduit - Conduit, we don't need no stinking Conduit!
The most fun was my parents cottage, not only did who ever rewired it (before I got there) only use cable clamps where they were visible (to the inspector?) he did not connect that funny looking bare wire in the romex to anything.