ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
Old Computers?
by gfretwell - 11/21/23 03:45 PM
Simplify MOSFET Test With Source Measure Meter
by gfretwell - 11/18/23 09:20 PM
Ontario Electrical Safety Report
by Admin - 11/02/23 08:56 PM
How are you Jersey folks about the windmills?
by HotLine1 - 11/01/23 07:47 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 18 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 206
In Ohio, the power company (AEP) supplies meter cans to the contractors. At least I think - I have been told that they do and that they don't and no one seems to know for sure which it is...anyone here have any clues?

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 440
Likes: 3
They used to do that here in Houston, but with deregulation they don't supply them anymore. Call your PoCo, and ask. Good Luck.

Consider me Deregulated,

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 375
In Oklahoma the power companies supply the cans.

I just drop by to ask for temp service at the job site and ask for a can while I am there.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 324
It varies in every juridiction I work in. One gives you the can and you MUST use it. One makes you buy the can from them. One will allow any type of can (meter/disco combos and such) and will give you one. And one will give you a can but you have to sign for it. I deal with four different PoCos and all of them have different rules to play by. The even have different service requirements. Call your poco and be thankful you only have one!

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 280
In Eastern Ohio, they used to but Ohio edison hasnt done that in about 10 years, But, anything 400 amps and up they supply, for a nominal deregulation charge. In fact they now charge for everything, 200 dollars for a revamp reconnect, and thats if its on a 3-day basis, they used to put poles in for a service relocation, not anymore those are 1500 dollars a pole.
Any work outside the Norm call and check with your local power provider otherwise you could get stuck with a huge bill .
The de-regulation horror stories are just beginning to come it. This will get worse before it will get better for sure.


Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,374
Likes: 7
From NJ; GPU(JCP&L) does not supply equipment (residential/light commercial), you buy approved equipment. (meter pans; CT cabinets) They only supply CT's and CT meter pans.
PSE&G supplies single and three phase meter pans; 100 to 320 amps single phase; 200 amp 3 phase (self contained) If you have a CT job, you buy the CT cabinet; they supply the meter pan, and the CT's. Over 800 amp, 3 phase, you buy switchboard, and they supply CT's and meter pan. It must be approved!

John (HotLine1)

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 440
Likes: 3
John (Hotline1),
Does the PoCo there have a good set of standards that you can refer to for approved equipment, or do you rely on your suppliers to provide you with approved equipment?


The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX

Link Copied to Clipboard

Tools for Electricians
Tools for Electricians

* * * * * * *
2023 National Electrical Code (NEC)
2023 NEC + Exam Prep Study Guides Now Available!
* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
Portland, Oregon, United States
Posts: 404
Joined: March 2007
Top Posters(30 Days)
Admin 1
Popular Topics(Views)
313,166 Are you busy
239,117 Re: Forum
222,880 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5