ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 279 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#110167 02/24/06 11:21 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Picture and info submitted by renosteinke:

was on the roof of a restaraunt, replacing light bulbs, whan I came across this hazard. When the PoCo did their attachment, they failed to insulate their crimp connections. Of course, this did not prevent someone from mounting a light- atop the metal roof curb, less than a foot from 800 amps of heavenly transportation!.

[Linked Image]

Click here for larger image

Thanks John. [Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Reno, I thought they did this on purpose so that service technicians working on the roof would have a handy power source they could clip onto - both 120V and 240V. No ??

Seriously, I've seen this exact thing many times down here, usually from the ground when I'm not in a position to do anything about it.

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
E
not to mention shock risk, I can just imagine hoe easy it would be in a high wind one night, one of those uninsulated line crimps starts banging against the bare POCO neutral...

R
That used to be the norm around here actually, and it is very common to find a service with bare split bolts just floating... Had a roofer walk back into the service of the house behind me and blow a hole in his shirt... Had an actual PoCo employee arc out a service a few doors up from me.... Scary isn't it

S
Hey, Reno is that a big hole in the roof across the parking lot? LOL

S
and.....is that a Utility Co XFmr sitting on the sidewalk in front of the Salon next to Good Times?

Cat Servant
SE, I went back and looked- and yes, it sure looks like one! It was kind of hard to be sure, what with several coats of paintes-over graffitti, and assorted merchandise piled against it (-:

J
I'm not sure "mounting" is the right word to describe the light, either -- It looks like it's floating 1/2" above the wall. Interesting conduit work there: EMT into a 90 into a coupling into a nipple into a whatever. I hate seeing junk like that.

H
not to mention shock risk, I can just imagine hoe easy it would be in a high wind one night, one of those uninsulated line crimps starts banging against the bare POCO neutral...

more like a spectacular light show [Linked Image]

Cliff

Link Copied to Clipboard