ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 486 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#10997 06/26/02 11:48 AM
S
Yes a straight blade screw starter or "holding screwdriver".

Any one ever seen one of those for phillips screws? They work the same way with the push down collar, I have a couple but they are not Klein.

#10998 06/26/02 01:08 PM
E
By far my favorite tool is the wire strippers. I get so upset watching people use the linesman or diagonals for stripping wire. I believe that the strippers do a faster job ,without knicking, even though you need the extra tool. It also takes LESS effort. Everyone who uses stranded THHN should know. And finally don't leave the house without an induction tester. Absolutely invaluable and saved my hide on mire then a few occasions.(I respect electricity too much and have seen people get hurt first hand.

#10999 06/26/02 01:17 PM
E
Oh and just a little trick for those who don't have tha spreader flat screwdriver and are caught needing to thread the screwdriver through a panel without using two hands.

Take your flatscrew driver and place a piece of black tape(1-2 inch long) over the tip (sticky side on the tip). Now take the screw or piece of hardware and place it on the screw driver and press with all your weight against the floor. The flat end of the screw driver will puncture the tape and you will now have a screw that will defy gravity. One last thing is you may need to put more than one piece of tape depending on how wide the slot is but it works to get those breaker screws started. Try it..

#11000 06/26/02 03:39 PM
P
I have a device which was advertised as a "Pearl Catcher." Press the button on the top and three stiff wire fingers open out from the bottom to grip a screw head, nut, or other fixing. I use it mostly on the electronics bench, but I also have a much larger and longer version with a spring shaft which can be handy for electrical work.

On the wire-strippers, which type does anybody prefer? I've used side action (as pictured above), end action, and the automatic cut-and-strip-in-one-squeeze type, depending upon the job. I usually seem to end up using end-action types for electrical wiring work.

#11001 06/26/02 07:04 PM
F
I always have an expandable screw diver in my pouch to.I also wonder if you have robertson drivers over there?All our Leveton, Hubble recepticals,plugs ect have combination screws ie the screw heads will accept robertson and slot drivers.

#11002 06/26/02 09:03 PM
S
duck bill pliers for me.....

#11003 06/26/02 09:39 PM
C
Well, I own one of every tool in that picture (except the BX cutter), and they're all great! I don't really use the Romex stripper too much though, because I still like the good ole utility knife.

But my favorite tool is not a Klein, it's my Ideal Reflex stripper. I use them for everything: stripping, cutting and looping.
They're the only tool you need when you "plug and switch" (besides a screwdriver, of course).

arseegee, what kind of mini razor knife are you using? Where can you buy one?

Peter
#11004 06/26/02 10:35 PM
A
CT, we use American Line Auto-Lock. There built tough and last for a while (years). The knife has a metal inner body and plastic outer. And like the name says they automatically lock into place. The one in my main bag has been in use for for years. Use it every day and still ticking. I get them from my local Sherwin Williams paint store. I think Home Depot carries them in the paint section too.

#11005 06/27/02 12:04 AM
B
My wife is convinced that I switched over from being an electronics tech to an electrician because I would have to buy more tools...and her point is?????

Anyway, I would like to tell everyone about a great set of tools that came out called Knipex. They are carried by one of the supply houses I frequent. I bought a pair of their linesman's and LOVE THEM!!!!
I used Kleins for years and was always surprised that you had to spend hours loosening them up for use. No such problem with the Knipex, there perfect first time out!

#11006 06/27/02 12:23 AM
D
One of the guys showed up with one of those new NM cable strippers from Klein. I thought it was just another set of handles to dig past until I tried it out. Perty slick, and with a #14 and #12 wire stripper, two loop making holes, and 6 and 8/32 screw cutters to boot. I bought one for myself, and put the ol Super T's out to pasture. They just dont fit in the front pants pocket like the Super T's did, tho.

My absolute favorite is my 6"x1/4" cabinet point flat screwdriver. First in line in my screwdriver loops, always

Dallas

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard