ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ComputerWizKid), 331 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
e57 Offline
"Not one violation was found."

Reguardless of the romex straps (Which I have seen done before, and hope not to see again...) There are quite a few visable violation... Just in these few pic's, the whole job is probhably littered with them...

White switch wire in #1... Others that have been mentioned. And if that romex "Strap" (not that I would call it that) has conductors in it, it is a "cable", and a violation. IMO

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
Just on the basis of the photo, what evidence do you have that says the red/white is a switch leg and not a outlet feed? I think you'd need to wait a bit on that one.

I suspect you could find yourself in a battle over the use of dual copper-reenforced, vinyl-insulated strapping material.

Not the kind of work I'd do but I'm not sure how bad it really is.

E
e57 Offline
Just on the basis of the photo, what evidence do you have that says the red/white is a switch leg and not a outlet feed? I think you'd need to wait a bit on that one.
Cause it has "SSS" written on the wall next to a 3 gang....

I suspect you could find yourself in a battle over the use of dual copper-reenforced, vinyl-insulated strapping material.
Where does someone get some of that? [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
J
those red and white wires are probably a three way switch leg where the light is either being fed and switched there at the first box, or at another wherever that three wire runs to.

Maybe this will help you to identify who belongs where [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Picture #1:
  • 200.7 (as mentioned)
  • I'm not a big fan of forcing the trimmer to use one conductor to bond three switches, but legal
  • Really not a fan of forcing them to do the same thing with the ungrounded conductor.
  • Are the other conductors really 6" long?

Picture #2:
  • I'll betcha this is in violation of bending radius (334.24)
  • Is that water running out of the box? [Linked Image]

Picture #3:
  • The #12's are not secured within 12" of the panel.
  • An 1.5" SER connector is not listed for umpteen NM runs.
  • I wouldn't say that the NM cables are bundled.

In conclusion, I'd say this is horrible - my work isn't all that pretty, but I do better than this in a hurry.

Big Jim wrote:
Do you have a hard time getting your staples approved? They're conductive and more intimate with your romex than the copper conductors in these unattractive "straps."

Socalshem wrote:
For all 3 photos see 300.11(2)(c) NEC 2002
"Cable wiring methods shall not be used as a means of support for other cables,raceways,or nonelectrical equipment."
If it's not being used as a wiring method, then this doesn't really apply.
socalchem:
Picture 2...Why not just come out of the bottom of the box and know it is safe from the drywallers?
Safer, maybe, but not safe. Carlon manufactures it's boxes super deep under the presumption that their boxes will be installed in locations not prone to drywall screws. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Just George (edited 01-02-2006).]

-George
R
I have seen that often up here in new construction, only difference is the cables are against the stud and not " free-aired" like that... gone are the days where people took time to make it look neat in the wall, houses are not built with "quality" in mind, its all " quantity.. just git it built!"

Wow, all the romex entering under a couple of large connectors?? Not good thats a failure up here for sure!
that second pic where the cables loop over the back of the box and in... not really a violation that I can see but that is the hard way of doing it isn't it???? Like there are K/O's in the bottom of the box right? [Linked Image]

Switch loop that I see, I guess it is a pair of travelers... Up here anyway I always thought you HAD to I.D the white as something elseif its an ungrounded conductor, but I was told in school that "Neutral is ALWAYS white, but white is NOT ALWAYS a neutral"!!
As long as its a 3-way traveller OR the FEED to a switch, it may be white and does not have to be identified... ... I was also told that if you connect a white identified as a hot" to a fixture or device thats also not legal! (phasing tape is also not considered permanent in Canada, coloured heat shrink is!

A.D

[This message has been edited by Rewired (edited 01-02-2006).]

G
As long as its a 3-way traveller OR the FEED to a switch, it may be white and does not have to be identified...
200.7(C)(1)&(2) state otherwise. If the conductor is used for other than a grounded conductor, it must be re-identified.

I was also told that if you connect a white identified as a hot" to a fixture or device thats also not legal!
That part is correct, 200.7(C)(2).

Don't believe everything you hear, unless there's a code to support the "rule." [Linked Image]

-George
FYI George the above poster was Quoting Canadian Electrical code. [Linked Image]

R
Hey George sorry about that with the code thing, ( Thx Doug)... Don't forget we are all screwed up up here in Canada!! Wasn't until not too far in the past they started allowing " T-slot " receptacles and 20 A breakers supplying them... 20A circuits to feed lights AND outlets on the same branch circuit is still unheard of and illegal here... when will we ever learn! [Linked Image]

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard