ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 256 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]
This customer was requesting us to connect there Over Head service on a new two story house. NOT...we laughed when we pulled up to run the service and we saw this. Wait till the city comes out to issue a clearance...
(J.C.)

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

This is a pretty unusual looking setup!

I don't think this setup would last too long if it was hooked up either. People don't realize how much tension there can be on the point of attachment of an overhead service. [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
R
I don't know how long (heavy) the service drop will be, but if the support was attached to the house instead, there should be no problem. Among other things, those LBs look to be aluminum, I wouldn't think the hub would hold up to any appreciable weight.
As shown, the conduit would probably be considered a mast.
In that case, it should need to be at least 2" diameter and installed with approved mast fittings.

I
As ugly as this is, other than the violation that Redsy pointed out what can you say?

Move the point of attachment and it's is all set. [Linked Image]

230.28 Service Masts as Supports.

.......Where raceway-type service masts are used, all raceway fittings shall be identified for use with service masts........

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
I'll bet those extra long pieces of green strut would make enormous rust marks on the side of this place in no time...S

B
Seems like any tendency for the triplex drop to twist might unscrew the LB and lay the 12-inch “riser” on its side.

F
i allready see it before on one place and it did actally rip the LB right off and i have to repair it and deletes all the LB fitings and redo it propely if i see it again i will make sure the service mast insluaters are off the conducts btw if they are 2 inch rigid maybe can use but i doubt as i see the picture and someone dont relazie that the constant tenson can pull it off over the time

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

K
Looks like the fence could be 6'high, The top of the meter base appears to be about the same height. So...is the weatherhead at about 8'??? Also, the elbows make a handy spot to tap into after the POCO is gone.

kduke
I
I noticed both Marc and Redsy made reference to 2" raceways for masts, where is this from, all I see is listed for mast use and of sufficient strength.

Is there another article or local codes that are being referenced.

Not that a 2" minimum size is a bad idea.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
G
Bob, the poco in my area,and most I,m aware of,won't "hit" as we say here,anything smaller than 2" rigid.

Our poco insists the mast be used as the support for the service drop. They won't tie to the structure anymore.

Of course,an overhead service on anything but a commercial building is almost a thing of the past here.

Russell

Link Copied to Clipboard