ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Took this picture at a school of higher learning.

The maintanance man was told by his supervisor "Just put the conduit through the window."

It was untill we drilled through the wall to refeed it, feeding a A/C unit outside.

- mvp
[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

M
WOW, that's a first for me. He could have at least caulked around it. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

T
*banging head against wall*
That _can't_ be true!
The worst local version of that I've seen so far is a tiny round hole drilled through the wall with a flimsy cord running through it, but conduit through a hole in the glass???

M
As a "maintenance guy" myself, That doesn't look too bad.

I suspect this was a "we need the AC back on line in half an hour or we'll have to send everyone home." emergency.

I've done worse than EMT in emergencies before. But I've also alway's done it right as soon as we could and never let anybody take pictures of any of my "emergency fixes". [Linked Image]

J
We had one tech running EMT in a stairwell and insted of drilling thru the wall he put a saddle thru the open FIRE stairwell door. When the GC saw what he did and asked just what the heck went thru his mind, he said that he never saw the door closed and figured that it was always propped open. When the GC told him to fix it he took out the sawzall and cut the top of the door off. Tada, door closes. Needless to say he wasn't walking right after the reaming he got for that and our company got to buy a new fire door.

Guys,
Oddly enough, you see a lot of jobs that look like this over here.
I stay right away from them, if I can!. [Linked Image]

This looks vaguely familiar! I've seen things like this in some of Downtown LA's "Fireproof" buildings & 100+ year old warehouses... At least it's in a raceway & it's not an "orange cord" someone's butchered into a temp fix!

-Randy

Could it be that the maintenance worker didn't have a drill available that would go through the wall (but had a hammer)??

B
If the hole was made with Kleins and a screwdriver, it's a fairly neat job. Could the wired glass possibly have made it any easier?

J
I've got a photo where the pipe was run through the window opening- but right through the glass is a first for me!
That bend looks freehand as well.

Technically, however, this just might be legal- however silly it looks. Certainly qualifies as 'neat and workmanlike.'

Link Copied to Clipboard