ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 272 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Contractor used a EMT/IMC/RIGID connector on a service mast riser an I rejected it. He reported a complaint on me and said I was picking on him. I see a violation of the listing being used in a wet location. I also do not beleive this set up has adequate strength as requires in article 230. The service drop is 109' coming from across the road. He has called all the brass to go look at it with him. IMO this is NOT a code compliant installation.

- necbuff
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I
déjà vu

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
E
e57 Offline
Wouldn't fly around here! Connector, or that strap? Looks like a drop holder without the insulator, used as a strap? Is the lower conduit EMT?

So this guy doen't own a threader, or too cheap to buy a listed theadless connector suitable for the purpose.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
D
I think you nailed this one necbuff. I'm not an inspector, but it looks like he found an EMT fitting that would fit IMC, like maybe a 3"EMT connector would fit 2 1/2" IMC. He did it out of cheapness or ignorance, but it's wrong. He's looking at his cost to pull it apart & put it back together & look like a fool in the process. If he pursists, large EMT connectors sometimes are stamped with the size, which will show the error(the hub on the meter socket may be stamped with the IMC size). This could be a big leaker by capilary action.

Dave

Broom Pusher and
This one seems like an easy one... but let's try it from "Another Angle" [Linked Image]

• Do any Set Screw Fittings exist, which are UL Listed as Weatherproof - namely EMT Set Screw Fittings?,
  • Was there not a "little" issue a few Months back, with all Manufacturers of Compression Fittings for EMT losing UL Listings as to the Weatherproof abilities... and only one brand finally received Listing - and this was for Fittings DESIGNED for just that purpose?

Just seems very counter-productive (and stupid) to install a Set Screw EMT Fitting outdoors and in the path O' the Weather.

Unless the Fitting is Listed for that purpose (if so, please let me know!!!), the Installation is "Caa-Caa Del Toro"
(Bull Poo-Poo)
[Linked Image]

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
I
Yes you can get Die Cast Set Screw RMC/IMC connectors.

Here is one company that makes them.

Why you would want to use one is another story.

In the larger sizes some set screw connectors are listed for RMC, IMC and EMT

I have not seen or heard of any that are weather proof.

That aside the service in the picture has a couple of violations that jump right out at ya.

230.28 and 344.42

This was brought up at another forum but I thought it was interesting.

Are threaded conduit couplings listed as raintight?

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
E
e57 Offline
That's right, compression connectors are only listed for rain-tight as you throw them over the border into Canada. [Linked Image](except that one company no-one around here carries)

So necbuff, what is being used to support that riser? The hole that he cut in the roof? Those straps, I have not seen before, are those common anywhere else?

Mark Heller
W
Are threaded conduit couplings listed as raintight?

Not sure one way or the other but running threads won't keep water so I don't see how they could be. They sure the heck are alot stronger than a set screw connector.

E
e57 Offline
Treaded couplings should be, after all with a small amount of pipe compound you could have it be gas tight! And, for older buildings Rigid Galvanized was common water pipe for a long time.

I usually add a little Noalox to the threads anyway, for ease of installation, wrench tight a little further that way. But we are looking for "Rain-Tight", not "Water-Proof".

Reguardless, a set screw is neither.

Mark Heller
I
The problem is that RMC threaded couplings as Walrus pointed out have running threads (not tapered) While the galvanized ones for plumbing have tapered threads.

I do use RMC threaded conduits outside but I do not believe they are listed as raintight. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard