ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#107185 11/27/04 01:14 PM
N
I took a look at a C-H BR230 and it will"fit" in a GE loadcenter,the "t" slots are molded in,I used to have a couple of ITE Q2020s that were made to fit a GE panel.(It had to be a lot more work than it was worth)

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#107186 11/27/04 02:45 PM
NORCAL: "Look at Zinsco and ask the same question"!! Thanks!! I fell out of my chair laughing!!

This is a prime example of how just because the Code allows it doesn't mean it's right. Even though these panels do comply with the bending space in 373-6(a) (Thanks, electure! [Linked Image] )it is almost impossible to get to the noodles and egc's without an Indiana Jones style dig! And to make everthing dress down neatly? Fuddgettaboutit!

Turkeylips? How about jackalope? [Linked Image] (A polite way to call someone a you-know-what-up in mixed company.)

I spent the majority of a day at my parent's old house untangling the rat's nest from their GE panel. Found some loose connections in the process.

(I'm gonna have to dig out my 2002 NEC from storage.... [Linked Image] )

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 11-27-2004).]

Stupid should be painful.
#107187 11/29/04 11:40 AM
C
I was told by the contractor that this was a work in process and that should explain the open knockouts and the unsecure pipe. He didn't mention the arcing that was present and I would have to presume that it came from working on the changeout hot before he decided to disconnect the power in the utility vault (without authorization I understand)and complete, and re-energize, their work. I didn't observe any means to secure the pipe inside of the box so I must presume that the intent was to disconnect everything again later and secure all of the loose fittings and close the extra openings. I was informed that the box was suitable for inset or surface mounting and should have been weather resistive enough to meet requirements. I was not able to get manufacturer information as I was only on site to document the installation as a courtesy. The AHJ apparently had not inspected any of the work up to the time that I was asked to take the photos. ERFERTT

#107188 11/29/04 05:40 PM
I was informed that the box was suitable for inset or surface mounting and should have been weather resistive enough to meet requirements
It looks like an inset box similar to a type we use here.
Do yours have the same sort of knock-outs at the top as at the bottom?.
What's that brown(?) wire coming out through that knock-out without a bush in it?. [Linked Image]

#107189 11/29/04 07:02 PM
N
The "brown" looks like a bare cu gec. I still see no reason for wiring things up without the locknuts unless he forgot (yep, I have done that with both locknuts and connector backshells...)

#107190 11/30/04 11:52 AM
C
Trumpy, "Informed" probably wasn't the right choice of words on my part for this installation, "Misinformed" could fit or that it was "expressed" would probably be more accurate. I would have liked to have gotten more information on the product and the installation, but I had a very thin invitation and was out of my jurisdiction so I was more of a casual observer than a participant.

capt al #187170 06/16/09 04:07 AM
L
that's just someone in a hurry as usual.

Luke McCoy The NEC Crazy Boy
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard