ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 380 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Looks pretty typical for that town & you ask any of the electritions who install this they will say there is nothing wrong with bundling wires like that!!!
& that's when I bring up 2002 NEC 312.5(C)
LOL
Oh you #&*%$# Inspector!!!

[This message has been edited by BElder (edited 09-28-2005).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

George, What weather? This is California. They'll be done before any weather takes its toll.

There's something to be said for the love affair that we Latin Americans have for poured concrete, block and brick.

Sven, I recently had to drill a 2" hole in a concrete tilt up building South of the border. I drilled a 1/4" hole as a pilot and picked the rest of it out with a screwdriver. My fellow worker enlarged a 3/4" hole to fit 1" EMT by driving a piece of scrap 1" conduit through the 6" wall with his 16 ounce hammer. It took less than a minute. They need to get the aggregate/cement/sand ratios down a little better before you guy's criticism has much validity [Linked Image]

S
They need to get the aggregate/cement/sand ratios down a little better before you guy's criticism has much validity

Hmmm....I've heard of cases like that.

What I've been told is that it's the unscrupulous masons skimping on the cement.

What happens is they skim off cement and replace it with more sand in the mix than normal. What do they do with the cement they swiped? Sell it, of course! [Linked Image]

So that nice sidewalk or concrete wall starts crumbling after a few months of being exposed to rain and general wear and tear.

It's something to be careful about -- I'm sure that happens all over the world. I've seen some sidewalks here in New York City that appear to start crumbling a few months after they've been poured.....hmmm....

You wouldn't hanker so much for solid construction if your missus decided she wanted another bloody doorway through 2'6" of granite. I'd give my eye teeth for a good old section of stud with sheetrock!

Alan

Wood work but can't!
P
My fellow worker enlarged a 3/4" hole to fit 1" EMT by driving a piece of scrap 1" conduit through the 6" wall with his 16 ounce hammer.

We have a construction block here which goes by the trade-name of Thermalite. It's a very lightweight and low density block which is commonly used for the inside half of a cavity wall. You could pretty much just put your conduit up to it with no pilot hole and bash it through like that.

I'd give my eye teeth for a good old section of stud with sheetrock!

I like wood frame construction too, as it makes evertything so much easier.

If granite it tough to get through, how about those crumbling old Victorian redbrick houses where the wall only has to see you coming at it with a drill bit, says "I surrender," and falls into a heap of dust at your feet?

I've fitted boxes, thought they were secure, only to have a whole section of brick fall out the moment I turn away. [Linked Image]

In Europe there's a running joke saying US houses are cardboard boxes...

Fair's fair I suppose. Americans could make the same criticism of European cars..... [Linked Image]

Paul, there's another type of soft red Victorian brick seen in the UK, where the grog was mixed with small quartz pebbles. Not many in each brick, but ALWAYS one just where you wanted to drill a hole for a plug!

Vernacular construction techniques varied with the local availability of materials, which is why we have such a wide variety of build methods in the world. You have to admit that a timber-frame house building site is much cleaner than the usual UK 'wet trades' method with mortar and bricks/blocks and the rattle of the Mixer. These hell-holes usually resemble the Battle of the Somme, and pity any poor bugger wanting a serious garden afterwards, with all the topsoil stolen and replaced with a mixture of soggy clay and Evo-Stik. My late sister moved into a new house in the sixties and my brother-in-law unearthered a complete Dumper Truck buried in the back garden, minus it's engine!

Alan

PS. have you ever seen 'The Plank', a no- dialog/sound effects film by Ronnie Barker?
Says it all about Brit building sites.

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 09-09-2005).]

Wood work but can't!
Here's another shot...of the other side of the service.
(It looks to me like this is a garage)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] Somehow, I just can't get over the mental idea of a guy holding an umbrella over a roll of romex so it won't be harmed by Ultraviolet...ala Michael Jackson [Linked Image]

edited for goof on my part

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 09-09-2005).]

N
It is a garage.

P
PS. have you ever seen 'The Plank', a no- dialog/sound effects film by Ronnie Barker?
Says it all about Brit building sites.

Yep, seen it! [Linked Image] I think Eric Sykes was in it too, wasn't he?

There's another movie from the same era in which Ronnie Barker plays the jack-of-all-trades builder charged with renovating an old country cottage (I think it was called "Father Came Too," but it certainly had James Robertson Justice in it as well).

There are some great electrical moments in the film, such as when Ronnie gets to grips with an old fusebox:

"There's nothing wrong with these old fuse boxes just so long as you know what you're doing."

(Opens door, starts pulling on a cable, BANG!, FLASH!, slams door shut quickly.)

"You know the touble with these old fuse boxes is that they're never any good!" [Linked Image]

With apologies to all for going off on a tangent.....

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 09-10-2005).]

T
What's up with all of the cripple studs?

What's up with GRC not being bonded to the panel? I assume that the rigid is per PG&E 'Green Book' specifications -- but our man is attempting to save on a bonding bushing.

My blind eyes can't see the Ufer. It is in there?

I thought that Romex required support within 12" of any box or panel entry. ( 8" to keep my AHJ happy ) I can't see any listed method of support for these cables.

Out my way my AHJ insists on a courtesy panel stub out of 3/4"; I see no courtesy here.

This looks like pure California.

Tesla
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard