ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#106223 05/23/05 01:13 PM
B
I think that Dave55 & Renosteinke comments regarding workman-like & workmanship are appropriate. I object to nesparky's comment "Joe Handyman".

Having a license (journeyman status) does not guarantee good work. I am a handyman, not a licensed electrician, but I would not do work this poor. I have cleaned up a lot of messes left by persons who were supposed to be professional licensed journeymen: conduit not deburred, no box covers, tape splices (tape dries out, falls off), multiple voltages in same conduit, undersized wiring, no ground, loose bond screws, etc.

And no, I don't try do everything: I refer work regularly to a licensed plumber and a licensed electrician. I also pay the electrician to inspect my work, just to be safe. Most of my work is for charities & lower income persons who cannot afford to hire electricians for the grunt work.

Remember, schooling and licensing do not guarantee competency & professionalism -- personal ethics do.

Bruce

By the way, a good plumber would be as unimpressed as you guys are.

Bruce
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#106224 05/23/05 08:18 PM
Bruce,
Although important, personal ethics alone do not guarantee any degree of professionalism or competency.
A combination of that with knowledge is necessary, whether it be school or otherwise.
A license guarantees some accountability.

Most handymen don't (in fact can't) pull permits for any of their work. The electrician that may inspect the work actually should have a REAL inspector inspect his inspection! You wouldn't feel good about having a nurse look at the operation that the intern just did on you without even consulting the surgeon.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 05-23-2005).]

#106225 05/23/05 09:31 PM
Cat Servant
Bruce, I am sure that nobody meant to insult you, or your choice of trade....but I must say there sure are a fair number of self-appointed jacks-of-all-trades that give the trained, competent folks a bad name.

Our local code limits the electric work a plumber, HVAC guy, handyman, maintenance man, etc to 10 ft. The pic shows a good deal more than that! There are other clues- such as the lack of a disconnect- that suggest that this guy was no sort of professional at all.

I posted the pic as a good example of poor pipe bending. I sincerely hope that the only person who get offended is the nincompoop who did this hack job! :-)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard