ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 408 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#10608 06/16/02 09:53 PM
How do I start one?

Is there one in WV?

What can I do?

WV is already far better off than other states, but also far behind the rest.

I just feel really compelled to do something about it.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#10609 06/17/02 05:47 AM
P
Rob,

Out of curiosity, I know that in general the law in America was derived from English Common Law, then modified over the years by the individual states.

Are you aware of any major differences that have appeared between British/U.S. law in respect of responsibility/liability?

#10610 06/17/02 09:58 AM
R
Sparky, Start with a few local people, place an ad in a local trade publication, or newspaper. The hardest part will be getting it off the ground. At SCECA they hold monthly meetings, in the begining there will probably be a handful of you wondering what your doing there, but eventually it will grow and be beneficial. SCECA offers lectures (ie Legal, the local power authority, manufacturers) which stimulates attendance. It wont be easy, but its doable. I will speak with the board members and see if they can give me any tips that I will pass on to you.

#10611 06/17/02 10:02 AM
R
Pauluk,

The differences between English common law and our current law (both statutory and common law) is amazing, learning about the development, since the law is an ever growing system, is amazing. But the topic is way to large to discuss in a forum such as this. If you are really interested go to a local Law school book store and pick-up Prosser on Torts (its a hornbook) Prosser is considered the Guru on Negligence/Liability.

#10612 06/17/02 05:07 PM
S
one would think there would be more advocates of 'qualified' , given all the electrical orginizations, associations, etc already out there......

#10613 06/17/02 05:34 PM
R
Its easier to be passive than aggressive. Ask an electrician should unlicensed worker get away with doing electrical jobs, there answer will be no. Ask the same electricians if they do actively do anything to stop it, you'll get the same answer.

#10614 06/17/02 06:25 PM
S
so true Rob...
we expect the powers that be to jump outta the closet in a timely fashion
( clad in mask & cape..) and cite those nogoodnicks faster than a speeding bullet...

Yet this is not so, and the onus may well be on us.
This is due to our lack of universal consent as to what or who is 'qualified'. We have had many heated conversations throughout the electrical BB's to this end. [Linked Image from cybersoapbox.com]
Myself, i think we need to start somewhere, and have certain benchmarks seen as being qualified.
The problem is individual states do thier own thing, and the 'revenue' angle seems quite the influence.
My previous post alluded to these orginizations moving in that direction, This may be coined as 'political suicide' in some circles, and even draconian by some, yet the results may well justify the means......

IAEI
NECA
NFPA
VIECA
you get the pix.....

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 06-17-2002).]

#10615 06/17/02 08:28 PM
R
Your life, your community, your enviornment is what you make of it, I can assure you your opinions/feelings are not unique. The trick is to gather all the people in your situation and form the strength (in numbers) to confront the local politicians (Village, County or State) to make changes to improve your life. Many of us are afraid of the politicians (this is a feeling that the politicians try to encourage so as to make their jobs easier)but we must remember they work for us, they are in office to serve the people. If you have a legitimate problem (which this is) they must correct it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard