ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 247 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
I'm living in another state now and building under county jurisdiction. All of the inspectors (both of them) are very friendly, always cite the code refrence, and really make you feel like they are working with you. If you give them an hour they'll meet you on site to discuss an issue. Rather refreshing after the megaopolis I was working in...

Mike Wescoatt
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Joe,
In the fall of '03, just before I quit my day job, I bacame NCPCCI certified for Residential and Electrical, General (2A & 2B).
I was hoping to have something to fall back on in case my business was slow.
Thakfully I haven't had to, but after speaking to a couple local inspection agencies, it was comforting to know that if I needed, I would probably be able to pick up some work doing inspections.
I would recommend getting certified.

Now, if I can find the time to test for Plan Review (2C)!

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 09-03-2005).]

M
I was taught, as a youngster coming into the trade, that it was important to maintain a good relationship with the local inspection authority. It was an important work habit right up there with taking care of your tools and taking pride in your work, and it served me well in my years as an electrician and electrical contractor. It continues to serve me well in my position as an AHJ. I've said this more times than I can count, but I'll continue to repeat it: There needn't be an adversarial relationship between electricians and electrical inspectors. We are all concerned with the same thing. The safety of electrical installations. We're the most professional of all trades and if we want to maintain that level of professionalism a good, strong, working relationship between inspectors and electricians is an absolute necessity.

How does the inspector with experience help the person who just got an electrical contractor's license?

Does he tell him what is wrong, and how the Code requires the work to be done?

or

Does he say: "I was asked to make an inspection, I am not your teacher?"

This is a prime example of that relationship. I was fortunate as I worked my way up through the trade to deal with many good inspectors who were more than willing to discuss code issues rather than just cite an infraction. As an AHJ, I make every effort to do the same thing. An inspector is also a resource for the contractors to use whether it's a question about a proposed installation or how to comply with the code after a correction notice has been issued.

Experience in the field is as essential for inspectors (if not more essential) as it is for electricians. I have certifications from NCPCCI in Electrical General, One and Two Family, and Plan Review. The certifications are helpful and important, but they don't replace the experience that time in the trade with the tools on gives a person.

R
Mvannevel,

Your thoughts on field experience resonate well.
I spoke to one agency about doing some inspection work and they said some thing like...
"it's beneficial to have an inspector with some field (electrical installation) experience" ?!!

Joe, and Gentlemen:

I have been an EC for 20+ years, and a while back I took the AHJ tests, thinking of the "future"; yes, some of us get 'old & tired'.

I took a PT insp position <4 years ago which recently turned to a 40 hr week. I see both sides of the fence.

Yes, FIELD experience is very important. It should also be a pre-requisite fr the Elec Engineers and Arch's who layout electric power. (That's another story)

I got my IAEI certification, along with my NJ Licenses.

Ryan: Yes, I also teach PT at a County Vo-Tech (Electrical Trades) Ya have to keep the trade going.

John

John
My best experience with an inspector was talking about a classified location. The work was for a gas pump and the first to hook it up used liquid tight, and 3R junction boxes, no seals, no rmc. There was also a pole light 8' away from the pump that he to be re-done I was called to fix it.

I grabbed my code book and some paper, he got his code book and handbook, and we talked through how to make sure that it was done right. His experience showed as we talked method, and his knowledge showed when we talked code.

The repair was a pain, but when he came back to inspect, it took him about thirty seconds and he said "I figured that's what it would look like" [Linked Image]

Pete
S
I am the AHJ, but that is only a small part of my duties being the only EE over a multi-state area for the federal government and yes I inspect many Hazardous (Classified)Locations along with Resi/Comm/Indust.

I took and easily passed all 3 IAEI Electrical Inspector tests on the same day. The only reason I took the tests was to keep my mind sharp by giving myself this requirement. I have since let my certifications per IAEI expire (it had no value for me once the tests were passed). I never got certified with our states when they began to require such about a year later, I am exempt (the federal government has their own certification program). The Federal Government does not keep track of these individual certs, and defer to me for electrical as I am the expert in this Region (geographical area).

I could pass the tests without having the foggiest what I would be looking at in the field. This to me is very sad and I feel practical experience (in some form) should be required. As such I have tried to work in the field with the electricians I supervised at least once each year; it is their opportunity to train me, while I can judge directly the work they do; and then attend IAEI and state trainings when possible.

V
Im working in an housing development right now "200+ single fam." .just finished #17.the inspector that we had was just elec.and realy knew his stuff.becouse i am working in the some housing development that he is inpecting he always called me to walk the house with him.During the inspection he would show me diferent ways to do the job, to make it faster or look better and was always full of helpfull advice everyone else thought he was a picky &^#$ but I never failed an inspection becouse I was always there to fix any little thing he found before he even left .most times he would stand and watch as I did the fix.----NOW he has been replaced with a general inspector for the whole house,,,I am verry uncomfortable with him becouse, I come over to the house during the inspection and he barly even looks at the elec.the most he ever even looks at is wether the fire stop insulation is filing the holes were the wires pass thru.this inspector is loved by everyone and it it afecting workmanship.things are getting sloppy.my guys get a little pissed when I tell them I dont care what the ispectore will pass you still have to do it the right way...any advice???

Patrick
H
Joe,

Well I have known you for many years, so I think you know me well enough. However for the others. I started out 1975 working for an alarm company. Worked for an EC, got my own lic. and worked in my own bus. for 15 years, and now I am a working AHJ.(in NJ) In my own business, I usually did res. work and com. and some light ind. We did a lot of maintenance(sp?)work for business, resteraunts, schools. As an AHJ, I inspect mostly res, but my towns cover new car dealers, hospital (and 517 locations), farms, airport, gas stations, some Haz. (not too much), generators, PV installs, pools, FA & BA systems, fire pumps. You name it, Here in NJ we don't do elevators, the state does. I am lic. in NJ and certified by IAEI. Did I miss anything? Oh yeah, been on these web sites since *P* with the "SS"!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard