ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
All this reminds me... when i was in grade 10 my high school offered a class about electrical wiring as an elective, so i took it since electricity has always been my interest. During one class our teacher was trying to explain 240V branch circuits. He told the class that ALL 240V circuits needed a neutral wire as the return path, and that your stove, dryer etc. crossed the two hot wires and the 240V load was connected across the two crossed hot wires and the neutral. [Linked Image] So later I tried to tell him that not all 240V circuits needed a neutral and that the neutral was included in stove and dryer circuits only to run clocks, lights and timers, and that the 240V potential was obtained across the two hot phases. He didn't believe me so the next day I brought in a NEMA 6-15 (tandem blade) receptacle to try to prove to him the neutral wasn't needed to obtain 240V. He took a moment to think about how he was going to B.S. his way out of this one, then told me that the ground must be used as the return path in this case. I tried to tell him he was still wrong then he got p*ssed off, so i gave up! [Linked Image] Maybe one day he will figure it out...

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Matt,
Drag him over to woodshop with a wiggy... Open one of the disconnects to a 240V piece of equiptment (Lathe, drill press, etc...) Ask him why the motor works without a neutral? [Linked Image]

-Randy

PS... You should've taken one of the old "T slot" non grounding recepts to eliminate that ground hole he tried to weasle into [Linked Image]... Most of them had dual voltage ratings (10A 250V / 15A 125V)

[Linked Image from pstr-m01.ygpweb.aol.com]

[This message has been edited by Lostazhell (edited 05-30-2004).]

W
man, and all of those years of wiring up single phase step down transformers from 240v to 120v without a neutral coming in with the primary. According to him theyre all wired wrong i guess.lol

C
Well there is 3 wires in that contactor (The high school I went to had 3-pase shop equipment).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard