ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#10497 06/13/02 11:18 AM
H
Is it typical for the builder to supply light fixtures, smokes, etc?

I have a ton of these types of questions because as a business we only have experience with one builder...and he's not the most trustworthy guy I have ever met - if anyone can imagine that...

#10498 06/13/02 06:39 PM
R
I assume this residential. I have been in situations where the builder or home owner furnishes the lighting package. If you were asked to break out your lighting package as a line item to this builder, and he continuously takes it out of your scope he is indeed beating you and the customer. (You never get to see is bid do you) I may not be answering what you're asking.

Roger

#10499 06/13/02 08:53 PM
H
Yeah - residential - The one (custom) builder we work for now supplies the lighting package for each home. But he is the only builder we have experience with as the independant contractor. So I am just wondering what I might expect from other builders. I would think if I was a builder I would want to supply the lighting package on account I don't expect the electrician to be an interior decorator...I mean as the electrician - I sure don't want to pick out light fixtures for soeone else...

#10500 06/13/02 09:53 PM
R
Happi, if this is his normal method of doing business, I may have been wrong in my first post. What happens here is he gets the material sale and mark up, (good business) taking the sale away from you. This is not neccarsarily underhanded. If you are ever asked to supply these items, (you should'nt have to pick the fixtures) buy them at the best price ( get quotes from more than one supplier) and add a 25-40% mark up, what ever you feel will keep you competitive. (this is the true game of bidding jobs)

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 06-13-2002).]

#10501 06/13/02 10:14 PM
E
My contractors always provide light fixtures and fans. Sometimes we provide exhaust fans, but generally the HVAC guys do. We provide smokes, Undercabinet lights, keylesses/pullchains, closet lights(generally an undercabinet light over the door) and recessed cans with trim and bulb.

You mentioned this guy isn't trustworthy? Don't let him get too far ahead of you. How much are you collecting after the rough? We get 60% and sometimes more if I don't feel really comfortable with them. Make sure that if they never call you back, you still made money. Most of your time and expenses are on the rough.

#10502 06/13/02 11:00 PM
A
Here's a couple of lines from my standard proposal form.

"This bid shall include all necessary materials and labor for this job excluding fire alarms, dimmers, timers, surge suppresors, light fixtures, bulbs, vent fans, exhaust hoods, smoke detectors, appliances, inspection fees and utility connection fee. All devices shall be white, ivory or light almond in color and all switches shall be of the standard toggle type. All covers shall be non-breakable plastic."

And I agree with Eagle on the money thing. We do 60/30/10 on our draws.

[This message has been edited by arseegee (edited 06-14-2002).]

#10503 06/14/02 06:50 AM
S
It is not so much whogets what concerning materials.....why should we stand behind the choices of others?

#10504 06/14/02 07:55 AM
H
You guys - first of all - this is all really great information - thanks so much...

Electric Eagle - yeah - I mean the guy has done a lot to help us out. But if we offered to wire a house for a dollar - he wouldn't even blink. I mean I know that's business but I personally wouldn't do someone who doesn't know any better like that.

Let me put it this way. My brother and our other partner - they aren't what you might call business men. And I don't mean any offense to anyone here - but they are laborers and that's it. They are amazing electricians and that's what is going to make us successful. I happen to be the little brother who went to college. So, I have been put to the task of figuring out the business side to it. Luckily, I have been working in contracting (Infrastructure Engineering Consulting) for the last four years so its not COMPLETELY foriegn to me.

Anyway, my point being that this guy has given them the opportunity to go out on their own by providing them with work but he has definitely used their lack of business knowledge to his advantage. Its going to come back on him one day though because Ohio just made it a requirement for Special Trade Contractors to be licensed so he won't be able to go out and get Joe Electrician to do his stuff dirt cheap for him anymore. Finally, we get a little leverage.

On a side note, I have been the greenbean for almost a year now and according to my brother I am learning way more than a junior would in this amount of time (I can almost work a finish by myself AND I know most of the lingo, hehe). It feels so good to actually do something productive and know that I accomplished something at the end of the day.

Okay, so I went off the handle there for a minute. The real point is that this forum is amazng and I thank you guys again for offering up such great info...

#10505 06/14/02 06:15 PM
S
Happi_Man....
an electrician does not a biz man make...and i'm a fair example of this.

that's why i check in here too....

[Linked Image]

#10506 06/14/02 10:38 PM
Yep, ditto that...

You've come to the right place. I was in your shoes in Nov 2000, and now, more and more, I find that I can actually give advice.

Here you can learn from the experience of dozens of EC's...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI

Link Copied to Clipboard