ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
This is a hazardous (classified) location.

Why?

What rules are required to be followed?

[Linked Image]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

C
North of the border, this would be considered a "Category 2" location as it appears liquids and corrosion are present. Is the N.E.C. similar in defining this area.

J
Whats the location ?

B
Wow, that looks like an agonizing quandary, for likely corrosives and flammable vapors are anticipated. I’m not up on the latest in enclosure innovations from Appleton or Crouse-Hinds, but it looks like “combination” NEMA type 6 or 6P and 7 enclosures [99NEC Table 430-91] would be needed.

There is another wrench-in-the-gears here. In typical situations for this type of equipment, it would seem to be insanity not to use some sort of anti-seize compound on ALL threaded surfaces. Is there anything listed for such an application that will preserve explosion-proof integrity?

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 11-16-2003).]

C
Other than the electrical equipment being explosion proof, is there something else in the picture that indicates flamable vapors? I don't have a very good monitor and some details are not clear.

I
I am not very good with hazardous location work but the fact it is a pit has some influence I believe.

Bjarney
it would seem to be insanity not to use some sort of anti-seize compound on ALL threaded surfaces.

But why? all that stuff will unthread easily. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
W
All those wires dangling out of that box on the right looks like a bad idea here :-(

B
iwire — No personal offense intended, but I disagree with you on this. I'll bet rusted threads would make disassembly of pipe and cover threads very difficult.

I
I was only clowning around, I would think all those smallish cover screws would break before coming loose.

And the large diameter fine threaded J box covers would be just plain imposable to remove with out the "red" wrench. (heat) [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
B
Sorry iwire — I missed the smiley face in your post.

In some plants, anti-seize goo {like “Never-Seize” or “Fel-Pro C5A”} is a means of survival if anything threaded needs survive corrosion, but for explosion-proof fittings is not compatible with the ignition "venting process" as I understand it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard