ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Just a reminder and a prayer for the little kid! The situation described here is one that may arise again! I will post images of street boxes used for splicing street lighting here in my area.

[Linked Image]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

C
[Linked Image]joe, this is a very sad article about this little girl. it was caused by someones oversight.it goes to point out that we should keep our eyes open for all possibilites that may get some one injured.my prayers & sympathy go out to the girls family!

P
It's so sad to hear of incidences such as this, which could have so easily been avoided.

It also acts as a reminder to never take shortcuts or to omit important safety items such as a bonding/grounding jumper.

The person responsible for this installation will have the death of this little girl on his conscience forever. [Linked Image]

S
so tragic...... [Linked Image]

That's just so ridiculous!!,
under anybodies Codes, this piece of metal, being exposed to touch, should have been bonded to Earth.
I hope that this keeps, the person who installed, this shoddy poor excuse for a job,awake at night, knowing that he has killed an innocent child!!. [Linked Image]

R
Trumpy,
Bonding to earth will not solve the problem. It must be bonded back to the grounded conductor at the service equipment to clear the fault. The earth is too poor of a conductor to really help prevent injury or death.
Has anyone ever seen a bonded box cover in an installation of this type? I never have.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Don:
We use "quazite" boxes only. They are a cement/fiberglass combo (I think) and they have a cover of the same material. Personally, if I or my guys "had to use the cover to push the conductors into the box" we would know that something was WRONG. No way in hell would we leave any "hot" conductors touching a metal cover, or any other cover.

As to seeing a cover "bonded", yes we do install bonding jumpers on enclosure doors, and large hinge cover pull/splice boxes. It's our MANDATORY practice, and a "spec" by some of the PE's we work with/for.
I can't say that I've seen a jumper on the type of installation described in the article. You may have me looking now, but the majority of metal cover boxes are utility owned & maintained.

Anyone know the date of this horrible accident???

John

John
R
We also use the "quazite" for some of our underground installations. The boxes that I have seen with metal covers have been in sidewalks for street lighting and traffic lights. Some are utility owned, others are owned by the cities and were installed by electrical contractors. I have never seen one of these with a bonding jumper to the metal cover. Up until 2 or 3 years ago, the State of Illinois did not even use an equipment grounding conductor in traffic signal circuits, so even if someone wanted to bond the cover there was no way to do it. That has changed now, but they did not go back and install EGCs on the existing equipment.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
P
I think there may be a little confusion with international terminology here.

When Trumpy wrote "should have been bonded to earth" I think Don took that to mean a jumper to a local ground rod, which certainly would not have helped (no TT systems in America!)

Don,
Translated into American parlance, I think what Mike was saying was that the box should have been bonded to the equipment grounding conductor.

This was printed in the first edition of "EDI" 1990-91, a classic series of monthly magazines published be Joe McPartland.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 01-08-2003).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard