ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#10415 06/10/02 06:29 PM
W
wirewiz Offline OP
I am getting ready to place advertising in the local phone book and was wondering if any one has any advise. Have you found that the size of add over 1/4 page makes a big difference, did additional colors in the add help? Were you able to track the response and how many additional calls did you get? Was it worth the $$$?
Thanks
Wirewiz

#10416 06/10/02 07:20 PM
S
IMO,
they sould shrink it April-Nov, and enlarge it Dec-Mar... [Linked Image]

more seriously,
~ Include an e-mail, preferably a separate account.......
~Being in the C's will differ that being in the W's......

#10417 06/10/02 07:37 PM
The way Yellow Book works is that the ads are ordered according to size and "first-come" basis. If that's how your book works you have to figure that your 1/4 page will place you last behind all the other 1/4 page ads. If there's only a few advertisers that's not bad. If there are a lot you might be better off springing for a 1/2 page to get you closer to the front, or adding some color to your 1/4 page ad to make it stand out more. That's how I look at it.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 06-10-2002).]

Bill
#10418 06/10/02 10:25 PM
E
I recently told my local big yellow page directory (we've got 3 or 4) to stick it. They wanted $600 a month for a color "dollar bill" size ad. We get most of our business through referrals so I couldn't justify $7200 for a lot of nuisance calls and "shoppers". I did keep a $50/ month ad in the smaller Yellow Book directory. We have a hard time getting home before 8pm, so unless I want to hire more guys and sit in the office, we don't need it. But, from my past experience, the bigger the ad, the more calls you get, color helps, but don't buy more than you can afford even if the ad isn't successful. I once had a full page ad that cost almost $1500 a month, we got calls, mostly price shoppers and wasted estimate trips. In the end I was working to pay the phone company.

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 06-10-2002).]

#10419 06/10/02 10:26 PM
M
The only advertising that we do is the yellow pages. When I get a call from a new customer I always ask where they got my number(either word of mouth or yellow pages)so that I can keep tract of my advertising dollars at work.

BUT, you have to be very careful not to go overboard. $125 or so a month doesen't sound like much but when you are advertising in multiple directories it adds up fast. I was surprised to find out that last year I spent over $6000.00 in yellow page advertising.

Needless to say I drastically cut back this year (sales rep not too happy).

One thing that I did find. Both in my yellow page ads and truck lettering a recignisable logo goes a long way. People have called saying they see my trucks all over and recignised the logo. I only have 3 vans and a bucket truck.

Also, I have had a picture of a bucket truck in some of my ads. I've had customers say that this is what caught their eye.

If you have email or especially a web site, mention this in BOLD letters in your ad. You can get a lot more on a web site than a yellow pages ad for a lot less money. A web site doesen't cost a lot to set up or maintain either, if you know the right people (like a high school aged computer wiz)
I designed mine and my secretary implemented it. Besides paying her to do it when she wasn't busy, it costs about $35/ month through yahoo. (www.collelectric.com)

In all, I would say that the Yellow Pages is where to spend most (but not all) of your advertising budget, then spend a small amount on a web site but be careful not to get carried away.

#10420 06/10/02 11:09 PM
Hmmm... the "other" '66 offers Employment ... (Nice website , Man! or as the script-kiddies say: your secretary is a l33t h@x0r d00d!- whatever that means, I'm under the impression that it's a compliment!)

*considers moving (back) to Mo'town*

<cheer> Let's Go! Mountaineers! </cheer>
[Linked Image]

Sorry... It was a Monday. (feeling just a little discouraged after my first day at the "big job"...)

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 06-10-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#10421 06/11/02 11:42 AM
W
wirewiz Offline OP
To all, thanks for the feed-back! Master66 Nice web page! All advice is greatly appreciated.
Wirewiz

#10422 06/11/02 11:12 PM
M
Thanks guys,

By the way, my secretary found the employment form and feedback form on the web for FREE.

I get daily results from each form and it doesen't cost me a dime.

The free form site allows you to custom design your own form, which we did, by allowing you so many "fields".

#10423 06/11/02 11:13 PM
M
Thanks guys,

By the way, my secretary found the employment form and feedback form on the web for FREE.

I get daily results from each form and it doesen't cost me a dime.

The free form site allows you to custom design your own form, which we did, by allowing you so many "fields".

Link Copied to Clipboard