ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Gwz,

1956 NEC 4113 is todays 2002 NEC 410.6.

410.6 Luminaires (Fixtures) Over Combustible Material.
Lampholders installed over highly combustible material shall be of the unswitched type. Unless an individual switch is provided for each luminaire (fixture), lampholders shall be located at least 2.5 m (8 ft) above the floor or shall be located or guarded so that the lamps cannot be readily removed or damaged.
NEC Handbook commentary:
Section 410.6 refers to pendants and fixed lighting equipment installed above highly combustible material. If the lamp cannot be located out of reach, the requirement can be met by equipping the lamp with a suitable guard. Section 410.6 does not apply to portable lamps.
I find the section use of "lampholder" while pointing to "luminaire" interesting.

[This message has been edited by ElectricAL (edited 02-07-2003).]

Al Hildenbrand
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
1956 NEC
4156. LAMPHOLDERS,SCREW-SHELL TYPE. Lampholders of the screw-shell type shall be installed for use as lampholders only.

At one time, wall-mounted 'receptacles' for serving portable appliances had traditional edison-base screw shells. You could literally screw a lamp into a wall-mounted receptacle. The one I have seen in an older house had a brass, hinged cover to save unintentionally contacting live conductors.

H
There's an open-bulb lampholder in my closet here, (I DID NOT INSTALL THIS!). I keep a small 7.5W light in it (the medium based one), plus I barely use it anyways. so I dunno. was pondering CFL

Cliff
Cat Servant
A keyless lampholder is not a luminaire??? Then what is it? As far as I know, it's a luminaire- of a type specifically banned from closets. Where does the "not a luminaire" come from?

Otherwise- on this subject, I accept the challenge, and shall submit a better illustration of why lamps in closets might be a hazard...stay tuned :-)

S
At one time, wall-mounted 'receptacles' for serving portable appliances had traditional edison-base screw shells. You could literally screw a lamp into a wall-mounted receptacle. The one I have seen in an older house had a brass, hinged cover to save unintentionally contacting live conductors.

Has anyone else seen an old (Disney???) cartoon where a cat-and-mouse chase is going on; the mouse of course runs into the baseboard mouse hole and the cat heads right into an UNCOVERED Edison-base receptacle in the baseboard!

Ya gotta wonder how many babies were shocked/electrocuted with those...

Oops, sorry for the threadjack!

[This message has been edited by Sir Arcsalot (edited 05-04-2005).]

No wire bias here- I'm standing on neutral ground.
Administrator
Here is a pic that shows why hot lightbulbs and closets don't go together....

And for those who don't believe in Murphy's Law....yes, I had to access a basement hatch that was under all this stuff! :-)

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

Defined in Article 100 see:

Lighting Outlet. An outlet intended for the direct connection of a lampholder, a luminaire (lighting fixture), or a pendant cord terminating in a lampholder.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
See 410.4(C) Luminaire (Fixture) Types Not Permitted Incandescent luminaires (fixtures) with open or partially enclosed lamps and pendant luminaires (fixtures) or lampholders shall not be permitted.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Cat Servant
Thanks for the clarification that "keyless" lampholders are only proscribed from clothes closets- and may be used most anywhere else.

H
Has anyone else seen an old (Disney???) cartoon where a cat-and-mouse chase is going on; the mouse of course runs into the baseboard mouse hole and the cat heads right into an UNCOVERED Edison-base receptacle in the baseboard!

Yeah. That was Tom & Jerry, an MGM cartoon.

Cliff
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard