ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Am I allowed to be installed in attic spaces and crawl spaces? Where should my switch be located?

[Linked Image from nachi.org]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
Nice artwork, Joe! IMO, yes, these can be installed in attics and crawl spaces.
Switch location is a matter for the building code; here, at least one light needs to be controlled at the access point. How? I suppose even a long string, passed through eyehooks, would qualify. The only time I've been "called" on this issue was when the homeowner was planning on moving the access point.

That said, I sometimes think I'm the only one who hangs these things properly....that is, uses a box, connectors, etc.

Code doesn't really address the issue of lights in these "service" areas...which isn't surprising, as the issue is never addressed by architects, designers, or anyone else.

Huh?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
P
Yeah. That was Tom & Jerry, an MGM cartoon.

Tom & Jerry is also good for the representation of knob-&-tube wiring within walls. There's at least one in which Tom uses some kind of hooked stick (a walking cane?) trying to scoop Jerry out and ends up hooking the K&T conductors and shorting them out.

Could somebody please clarify a little terminology for me? What exactly is a keyed vs. a keyless lampholder? [Linked Image]

Cat Servant
Good question, Paul.

These basic lampholders were once made in another variety, one that had a switch in the base that you twisted to operate the light. This was the "key". While this "key" usually remained in the fixture, you turned it like a key (rather than flipping it or pushing it).

L
In other words: keyed = switched, while keyless means not switched.

Keyless:
[Linked Image from levitonhelpdesk.com]

Pull-chain:
[Linked Image from levitonhelpdesk.com]

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
P
While this "key" usually remained in the fixture, you turned it like a key

Ah, thanks. So were these like the switches still commonly found on tablelamps, where you keep turning in the same direction for both on and off?

I don't think that latter type was ever used here in England. Switched lampholders had either a pullchain, or often a pushbar right through -- Press in on one side for on, the other side for off.

S
Ah, thanks. So were these like the switches still commonly found on tablelamps, where you keep turning in the same direction for both on and off?

Pretty much.

Some of them (Where the knob is shaped like a little paddle), you can turn them in either direction since the plastic "key" is molded on the metal shaft of the switch.

I haven't seen these sold in the USA very often. They're common in Latin America, however. [Linked Image]

The more common ones you have to turn in the same direction use a little round plastic knob that is screwed onto the shaft. You turn these clockwise.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard