ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
[Linked Image from joetedesco.com]

Found during recent on site inspection. The seals are installed, but something is missing!

Please continue.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-28-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Oops, guess the supply house was out of wadding and "chico".
If "chico" is a regional term', it's the seal material "like cement", and "wadding" is the fiberous fill. The conductors also have to be "centered" to get a proper seal.

John

John
B
“Chico” probably stands for its manufacturer, the Crouse Hinds company. There are two parts—Chico A Sealing Compound and CHICO X Fiber.

Some hits…
Catalog description http://www.crouse-hinds.com/CrouseHinds/pdf/469.PDF
Applications: Sealing Fittings http://www.appletonelec.com/PDF/I-2-3-21.pdf

In many decades past, the ‘X-fiber’ was said to contain asbetotos wool. That has changed based on MSDS CHICO X Fiber or MSDS Chico A Sealing Compound

The ‘pour’ or proper installation is covered in 99NEC 501-5. Sealing and Drainage. (c) Class I, Divisions 1 and 2. (3) Thickness of Compounds.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 09-28-2002).]

W
Finally something up my alley. I see this all the time and if I'm there for an upgrade of equipment that requires me to pull wire I can't say it bothers me. It couldn't have been there to long as it is generally hard to get the plugs out after they have been in the weather awhile. I've drilled out many plugs, dug out the chico and pulled 1 wire out while pulling in several new wires many times. I generally use Duct Seal for wadding it works better than the fabric stuff. I never really thought about the listing use until I started reading this board [Linked Image]. One inspector told me that if he didn't see the sealing compound all over the outside of the sealing fitting I didn't seal it [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by walrus (edited 09-28-2002).]

E
Doesn't look like a typical "eys" I am used to using. Is this just an older version? The ones I have used have a "fill" plug as well.

W
Elektrikguy

Their are several sealing fittings, the ones shown are vertical only EY-2. The ones you are refering to are Horizontal or vertical and are ENY-2. They also make one that is a 90 degree, looks kinda like a pull ell, can't remember the number.

Link Copied to Clipboard