ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#103379 07/22/02 10:08 PM
[Linked Image]
Joe,

This was a connector that was attached to the end of the BX cable. It would allow a transition from BX to an open knob and tube splice.

Caper

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#103380 07/23/02 12:45 AM
So that's "loom" eh?

I always wondered why they called them "loom clamps"...

Another note:

Anyone notice the letters "N" and "T" that are stamped on loom clamps (and modern romex clamps) in steel boxes? What do they stand for?

That one has puzzled me since I was a first year apprentice...

(Steel City Octagonal Boxes have 'em)

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#103381 07/23/02 09:11 AM
M
Caper:
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have seen these transition devices referred to as a "monkey fist". I think I saw this in an old catalog a number of years ago.

Mike (mamills)

#103382 07/23/02 09:58 AM
E
Mike,

I think Caper's BX cable to K&T gofrom fitting has a lot of names. As I recall, someone here called it a "monkey face", too.

The first journeyman's test I ever took was given by the electrical inspector of a small municipally-owned power company that served an area about 20 miles on a side in Fremont, Nebraska. One of the questions on this 3-sheet mimeographed test asked, "What is a 'birds eye'?" The correct multiple choice answer described what Caper's photo (above) shows.

It's kind of like a miniature weatherhead. They were made for NM as well.

Al

Al Hildenbrand
#103383 07/23/02 10:04 PM
H
Mike and Al,

Yes, that little tiny "weatherhead" does go on the end of BX and the loose ends of the wire will then get soldered to the knob and tube. If it was called "Monkey fist" "Bird's eye" or what ever, I am not sure. Maybe Joe T. can answer that. I have never installed it, I have only removed a lot of it while doing rewiring of the old homes here in my area. Also that black tube is called Loom and what the contractors would do, is use this to sleeve the RH wire that enters boxes. The loom would protect the RH when it would have to make a turn into a box, or sometimes when the wire turns the corner.

Caper

#103384 07/23/02 10:20 PM
H
Sparky,

If you read the UL white book it says under "outlet boxes" "Clamps are marked with one or more of the following letters... "A" means it is good for armor cable. "N" non metallic sheathed cable. "T" flexible tubing. (LOOM) "MCI" means it is good for MC metal clad. "F" flex metallic armor cable. So a box with N and T means it is good for non metallic and loom.

Caper

#103385 07/23/02 11:58 PM
Caper: I believe that the term used to identify the "fitting" is found in here in the 2002 NEC here:

300.16 Raceway or Cable to Open or Concealed Wiring.

(A) Box or Fitting. A box or terminal fitting having a separately bushed hole for each conductor shall be used wherever a change is made from conduit, electrical metallic tubing, electrical nonmetallic tubing, nonmetallic-sheathed cable, Type AC cable, Type MC cable, or mineral-insulated, metal-sheathed cable and surface raceway wiring to open wiring or to concealed knob-and-tube wiring.

A fitting used for this purpose shall contain no taps or splices and shall not be used at luminaire (fixture) outlets.

I'm on the road, and when I get home I will look into the early catalog I have where this fitting should be identified.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 07-24-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#103386 07/24/02 09:24 AM
M
Joe:
Love these pix! I came across these some time ago. I check back periodically to see if any more have been added. My co-workers here think I'm weird for having pictures like this for wallpaper on my computer. Oh well...
BTW, I also recommend the "Electric Meter Horrors" link on Joe's website. [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

#103387 07/25/02 08:02 PM
H
Mike,

You think you are "crazy", just ask Joe. I have been "talking" to him for many years and we all agree, that we might be a little strange. However we are people who are dedicated to making sure that electricl work is installed correctly, and hopefully we can help to insure safe electrical installations and to insure safety to the people who have to live in these places.

Caper

#103388 07/25/02 08:06 PM
H
Joe,

Saw those pictures. Boy do they look familer. Looks like the stuff I had to work with whn I started to work with my old boss. I wonder if anyone knows what "rubber and friction" means? (LOL)

Caper

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard