ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 254 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#102854 02/04/07 10:31 AM
N
NSTRUCT Offline OP
Hi,

I am an electrician from London, GB with 20 years experience and hope to get my trade recognised in Canada over the next 12 months, I plan to try and obtain work and move my family to BC.

Can anyone out there give me some feed back regarding the actual written test-

Is it a closed book test, or can you take the electrical rule book in for reference?

How many questions are there to answer?

Are they written or multi-choice ?

What is the pass mark?

Where are the test centres located?

Any other facts about the test would also be useful

Thanks

#102855 02/04/07 02:59 PM

#102856 02/04/07 03:52 PM
R
When I wrote my interprovicial it was in Nova Scotia so this is info I have from there. I think the pass was 80%.

-You were allowed to use the Canadian Electrical Code (CEC)which they supplied you at the exam.

-Bring your own calculator, (regular scientific one), no types that you can write a book in.

-Exam was 3 hours in length and had 110 questions.

-All questions were multiple choice.

-With the exam they gave you a drawings booklet, they asked certain questions about the supplied drawings on the exam.

This is what the breakdown was when I wrote

- 33% Basic Trade Practices

- 7% Basic Job Skills

- 13% Distribution and Services

- 14% Branch Cicuit wiring

- 7% Motors and Controls

- 6% Controls and Automation Controls

- 4% Alarms and Signalling Systems

- 5% Installation of Power Generation, Stand-By Power Generation and Power Conditioning Systems

- 10% Routine Maintenance, Troubleshooting, Replacement and Repair of Equipment, Components, and Devices.

To find out the test centers go to the specific government web site that you plan on going to and you will find out that info there. Every province has them all over the place. I don't know anything about Quebec, the only thing that I do know about them is that they can work in every province but they won't let anyone else work in theirs?

http://www.red-seal.ca/Site/apprenticeship/index_e.htm

You will need to get a code book from CSA. Here is there link. The illustrated and regular code book is what I would recommend.

http://www.csa-intl.org/onlinestore/GetCatalogDrillDown.asp

[This message has been edited by RobbieD (edited 02-04-2007).]

#102857 02/04/07 04:51 PM
N
NSTRUCT Offline OP
Robbie,

Thanks for that, I appreciate the effort that you have put into the reply.

Did you complete a training course or just learn from the code book?

Did you pass first time?

Would you say the work is similar to the UK in standard?

Are you working in Nova Scotia?

Cheers

#102858 02/04/07 05:39 PM
R
Hi,

I didn't do the traditional apprenticeship program because I started out as an electrician in the miltary.

We did all the regular training in the military school but I never knew what to expect when I challenged the exam. So I just studied the code book allot and went on the site
www.thelearningpit.com

The quizzes on there were good just for practice in navigating the code book. But the quiz is based on the 98 code book. There are a few mistakes in the quizzes as well.

Before I wrote the exam I was in charge of getting apprentices trained so I was always trying to learn as much as I could from the code so I would know more then them( didn't want to look dumb, lol) In the military you don't need a licence to work as an electrician but I wanted to get it for when I got out. Came in handy since I just got out last fall.

I passed the first time got 89%.

As for the UK standard, the only time I had to do British wiring was when I was over in the UAE for 6 months and it is different from ours. Wire sizes here are awg, plugs don't have fuses in them, no crazy ring circuits, colours are different, etc. lol. Electricity is electricity but there are substantial differences on how things are done here. I am sure you will do good. That is why I suggested not only the code book but the illustrated one as well. Make sure you get the 2006 version.

I am now working for the government as an electrician in Ontario.

If you email me I can mail you a burnt copy of a program that has practice quizzes based on the 2002 CEC. There is a new code book out now but there are only little changes in it.

If I were you I would get a hold of Jerry Brewer, he is in the links that Doug put down, he was on this site and was moving over from across the pond as well. I am sure that he has written by now and he would know what the major differences are for you.

[This message has been edited by RobbieD (edited 02-04-2007).]

#102859 02/17/07 06:23 PM
Y
The exam is open book, using the 2006 Canadian Electrical Code, which was adopted 15th. February 2007. I came from the UK in 1976 and have had steady work since. There is a major shortage of electricians in BC right now, so you are comming at the right time. I would wait until you come to Canada, and then take a Canadian Electrical Code Course as soon as possible. Once you have taken the course you should have no problem passing the exam. There is several agencies that offer code courses through out the year. Hope this helps you.

Link Copied to Clipboard