ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Top Posters(30 Days)
sparky 8
Recent Posts
Dimmable LED 2x4 lay in fixtures
by HotLine1. 12/17/17 10:04 PM
2017 NEC Changes
by HotLine1. 12/17/17 09:47 PM
Holiday Wishes to all!!
by sparky. 12/17/17 03:45 PM
Casino Wiring methods
by HotLine1. 12/09/17 10:44 AM
Ground wire Size to water Line.
by HotLine1. 12/05/17 12:11 PM
New in the Gallery:
Gallery Test
Popular Topics(Views)
243,099 Are you busy
179,546 Re: Forum
170,450 Need opinion
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 17 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#102761 - 10/25/06 09:57 AM Montreal Electrical Requirements  
MGD  Offline
Junior Member
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1
Oxford, CT USA
My company has just secured a contract for Montreal. I'm having a tough time getting information on the electrical requirements for Control Panels. Does anyone know if they require CUL or any additional CSA certification? Also, what is the nominal three phase voltage in the Quebec province. I'm hearing both 575 and 600VAC, are these interchangeable?

We will hire a local contractor for the installation but the control panel will be manufactured here in the US. If anyone has any information on the requirements it would be helpful.

Tools for Electricians:

#102762 - 10/25/06 11:52 AM Re: Montreal Electrical Requirements  
mikesh  Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 613
Victoria, BC, Canada
You might wand a quick view of the post on extra low voltage wiring for a long explanation of approvals.

If the factory that supplies the control cabinet has a product approval agent Like UL they should be able to apply a Canadian Standard and apply an approval label Like cUL to the cabinet before it leaves the factory. Otherwise you will need to have an on site product approval done in Montreal. I am in BC so cannot help with Montreal conditions or inspection athorities. From the US UL and CSA should be able to help at the factory.
Nominal voltage is 600/347 and 575 is covered at 600. the other nominal Canadian voltages are 120/208 120/240. all those are from grounded systems. 277/480 is a nominal US voltage and there is lots of US made equipment in Canada supplied with 480 volts.
If the location of the work is supplied from an ungrounded system then the voltage will be 600 volts with no 347(voltage from phase to grounded circuit conductor) I mention this in case you have any control transformers with a 347 volt primary which won't work very well if the supply is ungrounded.

Member Spotlight
kamloops BC Canada
Posts: 1,141
Joined: May 2003
Show All Member Profiles 

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Shout Box
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.011s Queries: 14 (0.003s) Memory: 0.7448 MB (Peak: 0.8622 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-12-18 14:33:08 UTC