ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 394 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
F
foggy Offline OP
It is a very old building with plug fuse panels. one of the panel needs to be changed. I couldn't find a same panel, so I bought a breaker panel which is smaller in size than the original one. The question is how I should deal with the cables that has been peeled into the old panel? Can I just wrap electrical tape on them before they enter the new panel? or is there any other way to protect the wires outside panel?

I am not sure if your aware or not but to modify an electrical installation your need a permit.Even if you own the building.

J
I'm pretty sure that would not be allowed. For two reasons:

a) It would look horribly ugly and unprofessional which, in my opinion, does not count as neat workmanship.

b) Tape, even many layers, is not nessicarily suitable for protecting the conductors from clamps.

I can't imagine any inspector being happy with that installation.

I'm concerned based on the nature of your question, and the fact that you had to ask, that you're probably not skilled enough to perform this installation safely. A qualified person would've gone for an approach using some type of junction box.

F
foggy Offline OP
Thank you for your replies. I will use a junction box, although the wires are just 1 or 2 inches shorter to the panel.

Link Copied to Clipboard