ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#102107 02/12/05 05:34 PM
C
Charles Offline OP
I'm only 17 years old, but I know more than most people about electricity and what is right and what is wrong.

My father bought the house we are currently living in last August. It was built in about 1994. We are in Nova Scotia, Canada.

There is a separate detached garage, 24' by 36', with a subpanel.

The cable going from the main service in the basement to the exterior wall has this on the side:

1995 ALCATEL CANADA WIRE #2 AWG/3 ALUM ACM CSA NMD90 XLPE CANADEX 300V FT1

On the exterior is a non-metallic conduit. About 2 inches above grade, the conduit stops and the cable continues underground. Is this cable listed for direct burial?

My father is convinced it's okay since a building inspector passed it when we moved in... I doubt he paid tons of attention to the electrical.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful house, but it's the same house with Romex run to where a shed once was, exterior fixtures lacking boxes and BX run to a lamp post.

It worries me and I need to know if it is okay or not.

C
CRM Offline
The keywords are NMD90, which is loomex. Table 19 of the CEC lists this cable for exposed wiring in dry or damp locations only. It is not approved for direct burial.

J
Direct burial wire will say NMW or NMWU (Non-Metallic Wet) on it. That one is NMD (Non-Metallic Dry).

So you are correct.

Link Copied to Clipboard