ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
This is your chance to comment on Canadian Electrical Code Part 1 proposed revisions and interpretation issues (subjects) for the 2006' code cycle.

The Part 1 committee refers to each proposed revisions or interpretations as "subjects". Each subject is assigned a subject number e.g. "Subject No.2960 ". When I receive a Subject I will forward each as an "Adobe Acrobat PDF file".

Please reply with comments regarding the attached Part 1 Subject by March 18th.2004'. When replying please indicate agreement or disagreement with the Sub-committee's recommendation

All comments I receive will be forwarded to the Part 1 Committee

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector

Subject No. 2960 - GFCIs in Kitchens, Rule 26-700(14) - 191k PDF
Subject No. 3020 - Marking of Maximum Voltage on Raceways, Rule 12-1608 - 104k PDF
Subject No. 3034 - Clearance of Conductors, Rule 12-3010 - 95k PDF
Subject No. 3120 - Connection of DC Equipment, Rule 50-020(1) - 81k PDF
Subject No. 3156 - Cleaning up of Section 10 - 89k PDF

T
twh Offline
Subject 2960 - GFCI's in Kitchens

Changing the standards for kitchen counter receptacles will put every house built or renovated in the last 30 years below those standards. These houses are usually wired with 14/3 nmd and have two split receptacles per three-wire circuit.

It is difficult to re-feed receptacles on outside walls, especially when there is no access above or below that wall, and it is difficult to maintain a good vapour barrier around a fished outlet.

It is expensive to install two-pole GFCI breakers. Many homes have narrow breakers and full electrical panels, or makes of panels that are no longer manufactured. Addition of wide GFCI breakers may also require the installation of a sub-panel.

As these houses are sold, or the kitchens renovated, it may be necessary to alter the wiring to meet new rules. If those rules are so strict that home owners see the cost as unnecessary, some will avoid the cost by avoiding the electrical permit. The end result can be less safe installations.

That is to say: I can talk anyone into four or five GFI receptacles. It will be difficult to convince many people that I need to cut holes in a drywall ceiling in the room below the kitchen, or that the cost of relocating a receptacle will include a sub-panel and a hundred dollar breaker, or two.

Perhaps we could have a rule for existing installations, that would provide for the use of GFI receptacles on 15 Amp circuits.

tim

Link Copied to Clipboard