ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#10189 06/01/02 07:17 AM
E
I was working with a guy who tells me that leaving a battery such as a cordless tool on a concrete floor will kill the battery. Is this true? And if so please tell me how? I nave worked in many basements with my tools on the floor and no problems.

R
I think this goes back to people believing that storing an automotive battery on a garage floor would kill it. I don't know if that is true. I think it was just that if the battery leaked, it would damage the concrete.

P
I can't think how it would cause a problem. Unless it's terminals down into wet concrete, of course! [Linked Image]

R
I have heard that tale with automotive batteries. Off subject but have you ever heard that sitting pumpkins,melons,etc..on concrete will cause premature rot?

Really?!?!!? That's a myth!?!?!?

Wow...

It always seemed to make some sort of sense to me until now... With car batteries, that is... Don't know why I've never even pondered the cordless tool batteries on concrete...

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 06-01-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
H
when automotive batteries had the old rubber cases they would conduct and the lime in the concrete would penetrate them this usually neutralized the acid. but with the new plastic cases we now have it doesn't hurt them any more. but it can damage the concrete floor as the battery is being charged.

Be Fair, Be Safe
Just don't be Fairly Safe

Link Copied to Clipboard