ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#10177 06/03/02 03:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
And to think I thought we were the only ones to have problems with suppliers. For the most part our suppliers, all 6 that we deal our usually pretty good. Except for two of them. Our biggest problem is trying to get the common things like HPS Dusk to Dawn Lights, simple wall boxes, and standard breaker sizes for widely used panels. We can run in and pick a brand new box of the outlawed FPE Stablok breakers still in their original wrapper however. I don't understand how suppliers are planning on staying in business while continuing business like this.

#10178 06/03/02 03:47 PM
S
Well I have to say I think I have you all beat. You should all be happy to only wait a few weeks. As some of you know I work in Bosnia and have been here for two years. You should see what I have to go through to get a simple part or job done, All the canadians bring canadian equipment over here and expect us electricians to maintain it. In this country you are lucky to have the power on half the time. That would be why most of our sites are run 24 hors a day on many 500kw generators. I ordered simple duplex receptacles with covers (canadian) 2 -1/2 months ago and I am still waiting mind you I guess alot of it could be transport!!

Greg Smith
Camp Black Bear
Bosnia

#10179 06/03/02 06:06 PM
P
Hi Greg,

Wow, aren't we getting people from far-flung places now?!

Do you get stung for much in the way of import duty when bringing fittings into Bosnia?

#10180 06/03/02 07:45 PM
B
Paul-- I hope I didn’t misread sparkyga, but it sounds like maybe he is in a North American military construction battalion. No problems with paying too much duty then, but believe me, the shipping costs are not cheap, and any lightning delivery would have to be 'signed off' by a bunch of others, and you better have a very, very good reason to get that. I suspect that a good number in his “team” in the front office spend hours a day reviewing ‘records’ and other pesky but absolutely essential paperwork needed to keep the whole ‘team’ happy, and probably a big, key part of the ‘program’ there.

Hint-- Words like “transport”…“Camp” Black Bear have different meanings depending on who you work for, and how much “free travel” you get.

*Greg--* I am happy to see that you are able to log on and share your work with all of us. It may not seem so at first, but most everyone benefits from and appreciates your electrical work thousands of miles away from most here. Thank you very much Greg. Hang in there. It won't last forever.
--Bjarney, a/k/a scott out west

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 06-03-2002).]

#10181 06/04/02 01:26 AM
S
Hi Guys

Thanks for the reply.
Actually i do work in Bosnia. I have been over hear for two years. Actually I work for two months and get a month off. I usually do not come home though, I tend to travel alot. I am not in the military and work for a canadian civillian company. We have to have either an electrical ticket or power generation ticket ,which is working on generators. It is a world away from home and can be very frustrating at times. I am a fairly new journeyman, 5 years and it is nice to be able to have people to give advice on the other side of the world to help me keep my skills up to par. I still have alot to learn. Here I am not an electrian ful time because my job is supervision of al trades but at night I am the man on the phone 24 hours a days 7 days a week.Bjarney you got it. There is alot of paper pushers but they are all civilians. Although we support the military we are seperate. They just tell us what jobs to do and then it is up to us to do it . Actually I realy like my job here but it is the paper pushers that make it hard. I have been able to see the world ,I get 5 months paid holidays, and all my mnoey goes in the bank!!!

Well I got to go

Greg
Camp Black Bear
Bosnia

#10182 06/04/02 03:38 PM
B
Sorry Greg-- You probably would have included a rank if it applied. Not having to salute all the time might save me from pitching a fresh straight-blade screwdriver into someone's jugular.

#10183 06/04/02 10:47 PM
E
Sparky don't get too excited about that Home Depot coming to town. Sure they'll have a basic white recptacle, don't they've never heard of light almond. They'll sell you a GFi outlet for $6, but they don't sell a decent bubble cover. Need #1 SER or 0 SEU or how about some #4 triplex, don't go to HD. You say you need a 20 amp Sq. D QOB 3 phase breaker, well Home Depot doesn't sell bolt on breakers, much less anything in 3 phase. The only thing I regularly buy at Home Depot is my 10, 12, and 14 gauge wire, they are 45% cheaper on those sizes than my main supply house. But I do understand your problem that's why I keep open accounts a 3 suppliers so I'm not stuck with one choice.

#10184 06/04/02 11:13 PM
J
My old primary supply house was bought by a Dutch company. The new management decided that they didn't want small contractors. Mt pricing on some items was 2x what I could buy it for at a 'big box' store.

The frustrating part about the big boxes is the lack of selection, oh, I forgot the 'industry experts' that I wouldn't let wire a dog house. Also, no matter how much you spend there you pay the same price as someone that shops there once a month. Is this how they thank you for your business?

#10185 06/04/02 11:23 PM
A
Yeah, I love the industry experts too. I love it when they come up to me and ask "can I help you find something"? I usually just chuckle. Those guys don't know a three way from a freeway. But I can't complain too much since often I can go in to the big box store, pull my stuff and be back on the road before the guys at supply house get through telling Gomer how to hook up a trailer service.

#10186 06/05/02 06:01 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
I have no experience with HD, except that i hear i should park carefully there.
When it comes to suppliers all i wish is for a $$ and avialability, but many times they cannot even accomplish this.
BO's loose biz, and i'll be dipped in S*** before i loose biz to a supplier.
So I, like many of you, will to biz with whoever can dance....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard