ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
RobbieD Offline OP
I am used to installing exit sign/emergency lighting unit combos. This time I must install an exit sign and an emergency light seperatly. Everything will be surface mounted using emt. I will be running emt from the panel to the exit sign and to a receptacle next to the lighting unit.The light unit will be plugged into it. Both will be on the same circuit and there will be nothing else in the conduit. My question is how do I supply the back up power(6VDC) from the emergency light unit to the exit sign? I want it to look nice. I don't think I can run 6Vdc in the same conduit as the 120VAC. Is the exit sign considered a remote device of the lighting unit in this case? If it is can I run the 6VDC in the same Conduit as the 120VAC if all conductors are insulated to the highest voltage rating? If not does anyone have any suggestions on how to wire it so it looks nice? Thanks

Z
Hmm, usually the ones i install have backup power in each unit.. However, if you think about how you wire interconnected smokies, you use the same gauge wire for the low voltage interconnecting signal

So, I would run another wire of the same gauge and voltage rating, probably a blue or yellow wire, and use it for the backup power, does the backup require both a + & - or just one wire?

I see no code violation as long as all conductors can handle the highest voltage that will be present and conduit fill is considered

R
RobbieD Offline OP
Thanks Zack.

W
Robbie why dont you tell us the model of light you are using it might give you a better under standing. Exit sign come is standard voltages 120v,277v even dual tap (120v/277v) so the circuit will still require one hot and a neutral and a (non-switch) for the EXIT Sign. You mentioned that the light will be Plug I dont think that a plug light is concider for life safety. Think about it if it plug it can be easily unplug and serve no purpose. now when you said plug you meant hardwire?

Regards.

C
Copy of post in Genaral Forum

In Ontario(If that is where your installation is) you cannot run DC & AC in same raceway.
CSA rule 46-108 (3) "Say's no WAY"

and as iwire noted NEC 700-9 (B),(1),(2),(3),(4)
Basically say's Junction Box attached to fixture (key word "attached),in fixture, and in your case Battery pack.

Link Copied to Clipboard