ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
I would like to know if it is illegal in Ontario for anyone other that a certified Electrician (Journeyman)to work in an Electrical Maintenance capacity in an industrial plant setting. Is there a specific act or regulation that clarifies this? Thanks.

T
Read the OH&S Act & Regulations-1999-Industrial Establishments under the authority of The Ministry of Labour, and that will answer your question.

It is the MOL through the OH&S Act that set out the guidelines as to who is qualified.

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
Electrical Safety Authority

C
I have the 2002 OH&S Act and Regulations, I also have the 2002 Canadian Electrical Codebook. I have found no specific reference to this issue of Industrial Electrical Maintenace staff requirements. I have seached the entire 'Industrial Establishments' section of the OH&S book and the CEC seems to be souly concerded with equipment/materials/design requirements.

T
OH&S Act & Regulations-1999-page #60.

Adoption of Training Requirements

1) The requirements for certification of trades prescribed in the regulations made under the Trades Qualification Act and set out in the schedule are adopted and prescribed in the standard with which every worker in those trades must comply.

3) Every employer who employs a worker in a trade set out in the schedule, other than a apprentice as defined in section 1 of the Trades and Qualifications Act, shall ensure that the worker holds a subsisting certificate of qualification in that trade or equivalent certificate of qualification issued by the province of Quebec.

Electrician, branch 1: construction & maintenance electrician

Electrician, branch 2; domestic and rural electrician

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
Electrical Safety Authority

C
Just my two cents

It would be a real shame if somebody got hurt doing electrical work and after the accident investigation team did their work, found out that the person did not have proper training!!!!

The rules that the MOL & OH&S play by are pretty straight foward. "The responsability falls on the Employer". Employees must be trained to preform the task at hand.

Link Copied to Clipboard