ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
From March issue of EBmag (ebmag.com)

"Both the Canadian Electrical Code (CEC) in Canada and the National Electrical Code (NEC) in the U.S. deal extensively with grounding and bonding issues and for the same reason – to minimize the possibilities of electrical fires and shocks. However, each code tackles the issues in a different way, in many aspects: terminology, materials and methods of installation. "

More:
http://www.ebmag.com/curr/article1.phtml?id=394

Any Comments?

Bill
I notice the requirement in the CEC is for 10 Ft ground rods. Is there also a requirement for a second rod if certain resistance measurements cannot be proven? (Down here (US) We are supposed to be at 25 ohms or less.)

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
E
Originally posted by Bill Addiss:
I notice the requirement in the CEC is for 10 Ft ground rods. Is there also a requirement for a second rod if certain resistance measurements cannot be proven? (Down here (US) We are supposed to be at 25 ohms or less.)

[Linked Image]
Bill

The CEC deals with this problem by design rather than state a specific resistance. For low voltage ie. less than 750 volts, as per section 10-500 "the bonding and grounding conductors will, without becoming damaged, carry the fault current efficiently enough to allow the prompt functioning of overcurrent devices and the voltage rise due to the fault will be limited to a safe level"
In other words fault currents are predicted for worst case conditions and the bonding/grounding system designed to suit.
High voltage ie. over 750 volts has a section (36) dedicated specially to controlling or guarding against dangerous fault conditions to protect equipment and personelle.
Grounding and bonding is a particularly critical subject and is dealt with at an engineering level to attain the best possible safety conditions. Every situation is different and requires due consideration.
ElectTrainer

Link Copied to Clipboard