ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 379 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
I have a customer who has had a Hot tub wired, and told the electrician to pull big enough wire to be able to wire pool pump motors etc. in the future. I come out to the job and he has # 6 or # 4 wire pulled to a 4 circuit panel, with a 60 amp. GFI breaker feeding the hot tub. In order to find out if this feeder is big enough, I will have to know what size motor is in the hot tub, the motors for the pool, then add 25% for the largest motor, then add the load for the heaters on the hot tub, and the load that will be pulled by the pool light. They want 2 outlets also. Are these outlets to be figured at 180 volt/amperes per outlet? Thanks... Steve
Also when figuring the feeder for a dual voltage motor, don't you have to calculate according to the highest amp rating to determine the wire size for the feeder? Thought I read this somewhere in the code, but can't seem to find it. Thanks again .. Steve

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
You have to use the "high speed" rating of a 2 speed pump unless there is some kind of interlocking. I think some package spas interlock the heater and high speed of the pump but they are usually the 120v setup of the spa.

Greg Fretwell
S
gfretwell, I don't think you understand exactly what I was asking. I'm not dealing with the hot tub only, but with the swimming pool pumps also. But that is a help anyway. Does anyone know the code reference for calculating the highest amp rating for the feeder size? Thanks Steve..

G
Most of the pools I do are for 120/240 and 14/7 amps. The pool light if low voltage is 2 1/2 on the primary side of xformer. You need one circuit for the pool pump and one circuit for the pool light. The pool heaters we use are gas. Hope this helps.

G
Use 125% of the spa pump on high, the heater, the pool pump at FLA and the light. I am not sure what the receptacle is worth but I would ignore it and round up from the rest.

Greg Fretwell
S
gfretwell, When taking the pool pumps, do I take the FLA at the higher amperage at 115 volts, or do I take them at 230 volts where they will be operating at, and do you know the code reference? Thanks Steve..

G
Use the FLA as they are jumpered when you install them. If this is 240, use the 240 FLA

Greg Fretwell
S
Greg, thanks for the info. I don't know where I got that you have to figure the feeder on the highest rating. One of them things that somehow got stuck in my mind I guess. One thing for sure, the feeders certainly will be big enough on some of the past jobs I've done:)

I
I agree with Greg on how to size the moor loads.

I will add that the GFCI main breaker would concern me if it was my job.

With all the equipment you will have connected to the GFCI it is my opinion the cumulative leakage current will cause nuisance tripping of the GFCI main.

In my opinion it would be a more reliable installation to provide GFCI protection for each branch circuit that requires it and replace the 60 amp GFCI main with a standard 60 amp breaker.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
G
If your equipment is tight I doubt you will leak enough to trip the GFCI. Finding the bad part might be hard if you do get nuisance tripping once in a while tho.
The GFCI that feeds my outside lights around the pool and patio is one of those things. It feeds 6 motion detectors, a couple receptacles, a dimmer and over a dozen luminaires. When this one trips I have a challenge.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard