ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 216 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#100970 01/26/07 04:32 PM
I
I do not condone willful violations of Code either. And I don't think that person intended it to read as such.

Tony read this

put in the required trims for inspection, inform the homeowner of the fire danger that exists, then after inspection put in the baffle trims.

That is a willful violation of the NEC, if you agree with me or not means nothing. I am one of this forums moderators and I say we will not allow that type of recommendation here on this forum.

If you have an issue with that you will need to take it up with Bill A.

And in this area, the inspector is most certainly the AHJ.

Tony, ask yourself why do you think that?

Is it because you have seen anything in writing that says so or is it just a case of always assuming it to be so?

As Roger points out few areas will let one person make or change rules at will.

Do yourself a favor and check into it before you make such strong statements.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#100971 01/26/07 04:33 PM
J
In many circumstances, the property owner or his or her designated agent assumes the role of the AHJ

now there's a scary thought [Linked Image]

(edit to fix [i] and add):

Can anyone cite an example where this was true??

[This message has been edited by Jps1006 (edited 01-26-2007).]

#100972 01/26/07 04:42 PM
I
Shock, sorry I did not see your post before.

So you have no solution other than to point out that my suggestion was unprofessional.

I am one of the moderators, it is my job to point out poor or illegal recommendations.

So my suggestion now would be, sorry lady, no lights for you. Fluorescent, shower trim, or no lights. NEC says so.

In a nutshell YES.

Would I present it to the customer like that?

Most likely not, but the result would be that they would not be getting the step baffles with incandescent fixtures.

Sure she'll be telling all her friends about how pleased she was with my service and how I couldn't help her.

So what?

Would you bend the rules if they asked you to run 14 AWG for 20 amp circuits?

I didn't particularly like the way you singled me out though.

You where singled out as you where the only person that suggested changing the trims after inspection.

What I'm failing to understand is how you can condemn me for making a suggestion but offer no other idea, or plan, just a "I wouldn't do that" answer.

Because that is the answer, I will not violate the NEC just because a customer does not like the what the NEC requires.

The solutions are very obvious.

Any enclosed incandescents or some fluorescents, it ain't rocket science.

I hope there are no hard feelings and that you understand where I am coming from.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#100973 01/26/07 05:22 PM
I
By the way, no one has asked if I actually thought this installation was a fire hazard.

Well I don't, I don't see any safety issue with the installation as described.

I don't agree with many NEC rules, I still grudgingly follow them.

But I am not going to complain about them as I have never taken the time to put in a proposal.

Any of us can put in a proposal for a code change, they will be looked at. We have people at this forum who have gotten code changes accepted. Not all accepted proposals are from the manufacturers.

So when I suggested to Tony that he put in a code change proposal I was entirely serious.

We have until November 7 2008 to get in any proposals for the 2011 code.

It is to late to make changes to the 2008 NEC.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 01-26-2007).]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#100974 01/26/07 08:41 PM
C
A little off the current here, with one question for TexasSparky-
Which way does the door swing for these 12 X 16 rooms, in or out?

#100975 01/26/07 09:05 PM
T
The door swings into the closet. Why do you ask?

#100976 01/26/07 09:30 PM
C
Just interested, sometimes that can help define a room type- I still think those are dressing rooms. Any natural lighting(windows, skylights) or receptacles?
Have you asked the AHJ yet?

#100977 01/26/07 11:01 PM
T
Yes they do have windows. And they have two plugs one is for an iron and the other is for a shoe polisher. I plan on talking with the AHJ sometime next week. Thanks guys when I posted this I was just looking for advice. I didn't want it to get heated. We are all brothers in this field. So now all in for a group hug.

#100978 01/26/07 11:07 PM
Roger, thank you for that information. [Linked Image]

I only have a copy of '99 Code and I couldn't find that information in it. I stand corrected on that issue. [Linked Image]

Bold emphasis following is mine:

<snip>the AHJ may be a federal, state, local, or other regional department or individual such as a fire chief; fire marshal; chief of a fire prevention bureau, labor department, or health department; building official; electrical inspector; or others having statutory authority.

I'm not as dumb as I look [Linked Image]

Stupid should be painful.
#100979 01/27/07 08:00 AM
I
Tony no one is saying you are dumb.

Yes both Roger and I are well aware the FPN mentions electrical inspectors.

It does not prove anything.

Here again is the entire FPN.

FPN: The phrase ``authority having jurisdiction'' is used in NFPA documents in a broad manner, since jurisdictions and approval agencies vary, as do their responsibilities. Where public safety is primary, the AHJ may be a federal, state, local, or other regional department or individual such as a fire chief; fire marshal; chief of a fire prevention bureau, labor department, or health department; building official; electrical inspector; or others having statutory authority. For insurance purposes, an insurance inspection department, rating bureau, or other insurance company representative may be the AHJ. In many circumstances, the property owner or his or her designated agent assumes the role of the AHJ; at government installations, the commanding officer or departmental official may be the AHJ.

Would you say this means home owners in your area are the AHJ?

You need to find out the laws for your area.

If you send me an email telling me what area you live I will see if I can find out.

You may be right, your electrical inspector may be the AHJ, it is much more likely they are not.

Instead of fighting try to keep an open mind and learn something new.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard