ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Rich R Offline OP
I need to double check my understanding on the folowing issue. Any help from you would be appreciated.

I have an existing panelboard which feeds 2 pool heaters, The feeder to this panel comes from a meter room approx. 100' away.

The existing feeder to this panel is RMC and has no grounding conductor installed.

The job I am getting ready to do is to replace this panelboard that has a burnt busbar and I want to make sure that this install will meet code.

My question is this...

680.25(b) (2005 NEC) says that the feeder shall be installed with an equipment grounding conductor and for other than existing installations it shall be insulated.

I understand this as the RMC is ok since it is existing and is listed as an equipment grounding conductor.

Am I off base here ?

I know the best way would be to have a ground wire installed but like I said it is an existing feeder and I am replacing the panel only

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

C
I don’t see an exception that permits the raceway as the EGC.

680.25 Feeders
These provisions shall apply to any feeder on the supply side of panelboards supplying branch circuits for pool equipment covered in Part II of this article and on the load side of the service equipment or the source of a separately derived system.

(A) Wiring Methods Feeders shall be installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit, or rigid nonmetallic conduit. Electrical metallic tubing shall be permitted where installed on or within a building, and electrical nonmetallic tubing shall be permitted where installed within a building.

Exception: An existing feeder between an existing remote panelboard and service equipment shall be permitted to run in flexible metal conduit or an approved cable assembly that includes an equipment grounding conductor within its outer sheath. The equipment grounding conductor shall comply with 250.24(A)(5).

Curt

[This message has been edited by caselec (edited 12-08-2006).]

Curt Swartz
G
This was probably illegal wnen it was done. The rule has been in the code in one form or another for at least 30 years.

Greg Fretwell
R
Rich R Offline OP
Thanks for the reply,

I'm looking at 680.25(b) which says

" An equipment grounding conductor shall be installed with the feeder conductors between the grounding terminal of the pool equipment panelboard and the grounding terminal of the applicable service equipment or source of a separately derived system. "

It doesn't specifically say that a separate insulated grounding conductor must be installed as it does in 680.23(F)(2)for a pool light.

Based on 344.60 RMC is approved as an equipment grounding conductor. It is not an insulated grounding conductor though.

680.25(b) continues on to say

" For other than existing feeders covered in 680.25(a), exception, or feeders to separate buildings that do not utilize an insulated equipment grounding conductor in accordance with 680.25(b)(2)this equipment grounding conductor shall be insulated"

S
Seems to me that you'll need to run an insulated EGC. Or maybe the AHJ will be ok with just a bonding bushing with a bonding jumper to the new grouding buss. Good luck!

G
The only thing that changed in 680.25 over the decades is the requirement that the EGC be insulated. As far as I know the conduit was never OK for the grounding of a pool panel. It always required a grounding conductor in the pipe.

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 12-09-2006).]

Greg Fretwell
G
In 1975 it said "...not smaller than # 12. It shall be an insulated copper conductor and shall be installed with the circuit conductors in rigid metal or non-metalic conduit."

I don't see much wiggle room in there.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard