ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#10009 05/25/02 10:47 AM
T
Hey Everyone,

I have a Honda generator that has a total of 21 Amps output at 120 VAC. The problem is that there is only two 15 amp circuit breaker standard 3 prong recepticles, and I need 17 Amps at 120 VAC into a twistlock recepticle. Could I parallel the two recepticles together to get all the Amperage that I need, or is this dangerous or would produce 240 VAC?? I am a low voltage contractor, so I need some help with the AC stuff!

Help!! Thanks, Trevor Farren, t.farren@tfc-com.com

H
take a voltage mesurment between the two hot of these recepticals if you get 0 volts then use a connuity tester that will work on line voltage.like a ideal volt-con type meter and see if you have conniuty between them or 240 vac. but if you get 240 you cant tie them together but you could step it down to 110 with a transformer. most of the smaller generators use only one set of windings for 110vac while the ones that have 240 vac recpticals on them center tap between two windings. but test it first! also turn off one of the breakers and it should show open between the two hots with out the gen. running remeber that if it has any auto throtole control it will be tied to one of the breakers and give you a false connituty reading. I'll see if there is a wiring diagram avalable and e-mail it to you if thats ok?
:Wayne

Be Fair, Be Safe
Just don't be Fairly Safe
H
not sure which model you have sounds like an older one but every one I looked at says it has only one out put at 125 vac. and some of the models ether split this current to a split duplex via two 15amp breakers or they send the whole to one non split duplex, like model:EM3000C.
the modle:EU3000is not only has a 120vac/20 amp twist loc recptical on it but it's output is run through an inverter for constant voltage and 60hz output for electronic devices it says it has better output than our power companys.
heres the web site: http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/inv.htm

heres the link for all of there equiment: http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/why.htm

Be Fair, Be Safe
B
Have you tried the putt-putt with a 15-ampere load? It may be disappointing. It will probably groan a bit.

N.B., 'Paralleling' with respect to generators usually involves more than one generator.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 05-25-2002).]

R
Ron Offline
The post is not clear. Is there two seperate circuit breakers, one 15A for each of the two 15A receptacles? Or is there one 20A breaker for two 15A recepts? Is the breaker 1 pole or 2 (single or double wide)?

Ron
T
Okay, I should be clearer about all of this; The Generator is a newer Honda model, but does NOT have a twistlock plug to take advantage of it's full output... The genset's total output is 19 Amps at 120VAC. Each recepticle of the standard 15 Amp Duplex 3-prong outlet is individually wired to independant circuit breakers, each one a 15 Amp breaker. I have a 19 Amp load to run. Could I plug into both outlets , wire them into a single twistlock 20A/120VAC, and run my load safely? Would the output of two recepticles in parallel be 120VAC or 240VAC!?!

Thanks Again [Linked Image]
Trevor Farren

R
Ron Offline
What type of load are you using? The 2.3 kW model appears to only supply 120V max, but verify by using a voltage meter and measure from hot side of recept. to the hot side of the other recept and verify that it reads 0V. If so, then by combining the output of the two will theoretically buy you full ampacity at 120V.
Keep in mind, these small units generally don't run well at full load, especially step loads. The unit is circuited the way it is on the existing unit to take advantage of demand diversity, since they don't do well at full load as mentioned.

Ron
H
He must have the EG2500XK1 model and it is single winding 110 output with a split duplex fed by two 15amp push in breakers but the two breakers are fed by the same winding in the generator but this does allow him to pull a load of 30 amps before a ocp opens and maybe burn out the stator he might want to install a edison type fuse holder in his twistlock box and install a 20 amp fuse to protect the generators windings.
:Wayne

Be Fair, Be Safe

Link Copied to Clipboard