I am helping my nephew fix up the wiring in a log house. A lot of the wiring in not according to code, so I am going to have to go a little at a time. First the wiring for the smoke detectors are not right. Whoever done the wiring, just pulled 2 wire to the detectors instead of 3 wire. By the way the walls have already been closed in [Linked Image]
But anyway, he has a smoke detector wired in the peak of the house, which will very hard to fix(no access), he also has one upstairs in the "open area" at the top of the stairs. My question: Since the code only says each level must have one, cannot the one in the peak be done away with, and turned into a light box, and use the one that is accessible to meet the requirements of the code? I know the requirements for the bedrooms. They can be fixed using wiremold etc. Is there any special thing about log homes that anyone is aware of, about the "peak" of the roof area? The area that I'm speaking of is totally open at the top of the stairs. Thanks Steve