Protector plates are prescribed whenever it is impossible to guarantee a minimum distance (typically 2 inches) between the outer surface of the half inch gypsum wallboard and the loomex wire passing through holes in the studs.

These protector plates appear to be uniquely marketed as a product that protects wiring during the construction phase.

My question is about the obligation to protect wiring during the post-construction phase, during the many decades of time when the wiring is vulnerable to the naivety of the homeowner handy-person.

Specifically, the homeowner may wish to insert screws or nails of significant length into the wall or ceiling in order to attach decorative objects. Where many electrical wires converge enroute to a distribution panel, the risk of puncturing a cable increases whenever the critical length of metal fasteners is exceeded and the hole location is close to the area of concentration.

In a recent installation of recessed lighting, I was obliged to concentrate 14 loomex wires in the ceiling of a family room. Where the wires converge, the distance from the outer surface of the wallboard to the wires is only 1 inch instead of the usual 2 inches.

Because no wallboard screws or nails were needed in the area of the concentrated wiring, I did not use protection plates to compensate for the reduced clearance of 1 inch. There was never a danger of these wires being damaged as the ceiling was being closed up.

However, I am now concerned about the potential danger should a future owner of this home decide to insert fasteners in the ceiling with no regard to the location of the wiring.

I now have the option of opening up part of the ceiling and inserting a 1 foot by 10 ft heavy steel sheet to provide the same degree of protection afforded by a typical commercial protector plate for wood studs.

Or I could simply provide a blueprint that details the position of the wires that have reduced clearance. But over decades, blueprints can be lost or forgotten about.

So I am asking where should one draw the line in deciding how much protection is reasonable in a world where people blindly procede?

Thanks