George, I cannot fault your desires...but, as I see it, the code should never create a situation where "best" is an enemy of "better."

We were told at the start of all this of the need to protect bedrooms from such things as loose plugs. The code gets edited, and Presto! we're now told we're supposed to be concerned about staples in the attic! Sounds like bait-and-switch to me!
Moreover, the code still fails to require- or even reccommend- separate circuits for the bedrooms; yet that is the practical effect of the AFCI requirement.

The biggest problem I have, though, is that the requirement assumes new construction, using a panel that will accept an AFCI. There are many places out there that still have fuses, or panels that are no longer made. There is no practical way to instal AFCI protection should you wish to uograde a circuit, or remodel a room.
This is unfortunate; I can add GFI protection to the oldest bathroom- but for a bedroom, I need to do a service change as well as replace all the old wiring. That is an unconscienable burden, and one that most impacts those least able to afford it.

Wouldn't everyone agree that protecting part of the circuit is better than protecting none of it?

As far as that 6-ft rule is concerned, I have yet to see any devices made available. This leaves me with the option of a sub-panel, which, ironically, would not require the use of pipe to feed it.

My final point: the cynic in me suspects that a device will cost a lot less than a panel-specific breaker. Until the panel makers agree to a uniform breaker pattern (that is interchangeable between brands), I will have to doubt their motives.