Jim, wasn't trying to imply the disco wasnt required, just that that other code included the language of "within site" as well. And also applicable if not at a single family. Often I use this to cover both codes.

george, This is from the commentary following 680.12, yes I know its not code, but as refferance to my thinking that the disco is not for the pump alone... Something I feel without the commentary. As it says, "all utilization equipment" I see that to include all of the (Mostly Automatic) Controls.
A disconnecting means is required to be installed within sight of the pool, spa, and hot tub equipment to allow service personnel to disconnect the power while servicing these units. This requirement ensures that a disconnect is available to workers servicing pool, spa, and hot tub equipment such as motors, heaters, and control panels. This requirement has been revised for the 2002 NEC to clarify that lighting equipment installed in swimming pools is not subject to this requirement.

Maybe its a regional thing, but I haven't seen ANY controls under the skirt, in eons.

And I believe it is 680.22(C) that puts that switch >5' away.

Also, there are two different "Accessable" definitions

"Accessible (as applied to equipment). Admitting close approach; not guarded by locked doors, elevation, or other effective means." Like having a 6~8'X30" plywood panel with square drive screws put in with an impact wrench. With a deck built around it.... The idea is to shut the power off before you work on it. You wouldn't put the disco for any other equipment inside it would you.

And....
"Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building."

If in other than single family, you would need "readily accessible". To cover 680.41 with a handy lable saying "Emergency shut off" Nothing in the NEC says it need be a panic switch just, "shutoff or control switch for the purpose of stopping the motor(s) that provide power to the recirculation system and jet system".

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason