For those who don't know, I HATE "Puck" lights! When someone mentions them I cring. Main reason is I have seen the effect of scorching cabinets, and everyone wants to use them. Thier original rating is for portable display cases, and everyone wants them permantly installed, some as primary lighting! Basically I see them as a fire in proccess...

So... Current project has 12 built in cabinets with hanger rods and shelving, even reffered to as "closets" in the plans, with you guessed it, "Jamb switches, and Ahem, "Puck" lights.

So the NEC doesn't define a "Closet", and 410.8 does define the boundaries of "storage space" within one, but not a closet itself. These are not "Display" cabinets. So what is a "Closet"?

And, seeing that these are relitively shallow, there will not be allowable space for said enclosed incandesant 2" piece of crappola over the hanger bars, and shelves. Problem would seem solved, right?

No... I am the only "No man" in a company full of "Yes men" so I should do my best to figure something out.... As the Client really wants light in there!

So, Here's a few ideas I have... Tell me what you think.

LED - ahem, "puck" lights. (Cool to the touch, not seemingly covered by current code as of yet.)Really pricey cost prohibitave ones. $$$

Or, Closet rod LED lighting $$$$$

Or, LED strip lighting $$$$

What do you all think about LED lights in closets?

I think its a good anwser to an un-asked question.... If they are willing to pay!

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason