I have both good news and bad news that may surprise some of us- I sure was!

UL does in fact test and list Hot tubs- but there has been very little participation by the hot tub industry. I have no idea why this is, but this lack of participation is not unusual.
Among "name brands," Marquis is listed- but the '500 lb gorilla' (Jacuzzi) is not.
In other industries where I have investigated the weakness of UL's role, the most common reasons were a) UL and the industry had different opinions as to what the test standards should be; b) another organisation had already addressed the needs of the industry; and c) the industry was quite happy with its' own standards.

It would be absolutely improper for any government official to insist upon a "UL listing." This is because UL is a private body, and a government official has no business directing you to patronise any private concern. Malfeasance is one word that comes to mind.
An inspector can ask for approval of a "nationally recognised testing lab" or its' equivalent. Of these organisations there are literally thousands, many sponsored by industry associations and focusing on that one industry.
It seems that the hot tub industry is content with having its' products listed by ETL.