The local code amendments require an electrical outlet at each stairway landing that has a fire department standpipe hose valve. The outlets must be the twist lock pattern that is used by local firefighters. Power is supplied by the buildings emergency power circuits.

Since these outlets are used by firefighters when they are using the standpipe connection to supply fire hose and the presence of small leaks during use and spilled water during pick up is normal should I fit the outlets with in use covers?

On several such jobs I have fitted the line to these receptacles with a twenty ampere two pole center off switch and a flanged inlet to use them for temporary power from a generator during construction. I used the flanged inlet that was the same as the receptacles on the outlets. One of the inspectors told me to remove the inlet and switch prior to final on the grounds that the amendment requires that the outlets be powered by the buildings emergency circuits. It was not worth arguing about of course but as one of the local firefighters who has to use the outlets I thought that allowing the circuit to be transferred to an inlet for the fire department generators was a fabulous idea. I guess the inspector wants to make sure I earn my length of service awards program payment that I will get if I have thirty years of volunteer service when I'm sixty by hauling cord up all those stairs rather than using the installed wiring for the vertical section of the run. Experience has shown that the buildings emergency power source often fails before or during fire department operations. The amendment does not read "only from" or unswitched in requiring that the receptacles be supplied from the buildings emergency power. Oh well, just another day in the park.
--
Tom Horne

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison